Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 vortex mini-max 125 grn steel test results >

vortex mini-max 125 grn steel test results

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

vortex mini-max 125 grn steel test results

Old 08-16-2003, 03:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default vortex mini-max 125 grn steel test results

Mar-Den Mini-Max Steel 125 grain

Plywood 5 points
Steel Drum 3 points
Orange 4 points
Cutting diameter 5 points
Accuracy 5 points
Blades 2 points
Total score 24 with a blade sharpness rating of B

The 125grain Steel is very similar to the 100 grain steel, except that it has a slightly longer body and a 2” cutting diameter compared to the 100grain 1 ½” cut. Both heads use a solid steel body with an integrated tip and have the standard 7/8” exposed cutting surface on the blades.
In the Plywood the head penetrated completely and without damage. In the steel drum the Mini-Max penetrated the first wall, and the tip buried up to the front of the blades in the back wall. With the head still embedded in the drum the blades remained intact. When I pulled it out, one blade broke off at the tip. I consider this excellent performance, especially from a mechanical head. In the orange it showed the standard 7/8” cut on the front and it fully opened by the time it came out the back.
This is an impressive head in many ways. It is very strong, and penetrates better than one would expect from a 2” head. I am finding this to be a trend with the entire line of Mar-Den/Vortex/Mini-Max heads. The larger 2blade 2” heads seem to penetrate as well as most other manufactures smaller cut 3blade heads. This gives us bowhunters a good option. Some prefer 3 blades with a smaller cut, while others would prefer a 2 blade head with a larger cut. The blades on all the Mar-den heads are also shaving sharp, and probably the strongest I have seen on mechanical heads. They bend a long ways before they break, and when they do break, it is usually at the tip, where the least amount of cutting surface is lost. Overall the 125grain Mini-Max steel preformed very well. It provides a large cutting diameter, excellent penetration, shaving sharp blades, great accuracy, and is extremely durable. This in my opinion is probably the best 125grain mechanical broadhead on the market. It combines all the features a quality head should have in one nice neat package.

Old 08-18-2003, 03:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: vortex mini-max 125 grn steel test results

Sorry but this is just to good a head to let it die on the back pages