Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Target Alternatives >

Target Alternatives

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Target Alternatives

Old 03-01-2012, 05:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

Bag targets are great for field tips. I've had one for years and it keeps stopping my arrows. I use a Morrel for a BH target. But Valentine has a good idea with the foam insulation material. I've used it before and it does work. Never tried the paper between the sheets though. That should make it hold up better.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:50 AM
Typical Buck

i just use old shirts and blankets in a big cardboard box, stops arrows fast and just have to replace the box every now and again.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:15 AM
Spike

Default Try This. . .

I've heard of some people using card board boxes just layed flat on top of each other until you get it to the height that you want. And you can get them from a grocerie store they throw tons of card board out. Once you get it high enough, put some stakes by the corners so nothing can move. Then go get a big hammer and go to the hardware store and buy the biggest Nail you can find, get 4! . . .(bringing the hammer with you is optional) Nail the four corners and this will last forever you can cover it with a tarp but because everything gets so tightly packs together the water doesn't seem to hurt it real bad but snow and ice will. Then just buy a bulk pack of paper targets or whatever you want to shoot and pin them up there.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:29 AM
Fork Horn

working on building one now out of layered cardboard boxes. slow going 3/4 done now. after i get the height i want and it is 20 deep I will cut matching peices of ply wood for top and bottom then use an old ratchet strap to compress it till i have good arrow stop and easy removal. I tried a morrel yellow jacket block target a few years ago. It was very hard to remove arrows and it fell apart rather quickly. the two faces of the target are a nice foam type matterial but inside there is like 3 or 4 diff materials..
Old 03-06-2012, 02:58 PM
Fork Horn

I have a Morrel Yellow jacket bag target and a McKinzie block broadhead target. I got them both at my local Rural King farm store and got both for less than 100$ total. Both will take a long time to wear out and I'll get my use out of them.
I have made several of my own out of different materials, with the longest being a woven poly grain/feed sack, like a grass sack out of poly and cut old clothing up into strips about 2" wide, no zippers or buttons. like jeans, upolstry, curtians and such. got a huge bag at a church rummage sale for rags @ 1$ a bag. I cut them up and filled the bag as tight as I could and then tied off top. Instant bag target for feild points that lasted several years! I had a 5$ bag target. I have used compressed cardboard too with good results, I guess it all depends on how cheap/creative you wanna be! Good luck.