Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
So Close It Hurts! >

So Close It Hurts!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

So Close It Hurts!

Old 10-17-2011, 03:33 PM
Fork Horn

Default So Close It Hurts!

I have been deer hunting since I was 11, im now 17, and have not killed a buck yet. I have killed 4 deer, 3 with a gun and one with a bow. No buck yet, all does, ive been waiting for that "perfect" buck for soooooo long. Tonight I went out to my stand and I just had a feeling that it was gonna happen tonight. It was chilly, wind in the PERFECT derection, and its just that time of the year... Well i was sittin' there just waiting and around 6 o'clock Mr. "perfect" came in and ran 10 yards in front of me, without stopping. And i meen i threw everything at him that i knew to do. I even grunted at him to try and turn him around. NOTHING. I had gotten pictures of him all summer and it just really sucks honestly. But hey that's hunting...
I'll be back out there hunting hard.
Good luck to you all!
Old 10-17-2011, 05:20 PM
Fork Horn

man i feel your pain. i had the samething happen to me. i was hunting a stud 10pt. 2yrs ago and scouted this deer for a few months and while bowhunting the last weekend of oct. i had just got in my stand around 3pm and hadnt even put my release on yet and i look over my shoulder and there he was, just standing there about 10-12yds away looking around and i couldnt move, i dont know if it was shock or buck fever or what, but i couldnt breathe i dont think, and the next thing i know, the big buck turned around and walked off, i was sick to my stomach the whole evening and for a few days after, and i kept saying, "what if ".. keep your head high and good luck getting him. hopefully we will see a success story soon with the buck
Old 10-17-2011, 05:24 PM
Typical Buck

feel you. last year just got in my blind, 3 bucks run past then "THE" buck came out. 140-150 class 8 point. he was hanging out at 30 yards and was slowly moving closer. then a doe came very quickly to my blind 5 yards away and busted me. the buck had gotten away. Just like he said i felt sick to my stomach, i just couldn't hunt for a couple of days. but hey, get em' next time.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lost opportunities haunt us all my Brother Hunters,I am deerless after 10 hunts or more and have at least 2 hunts where I was not ready or got careless in my movement on stand. I have heard that aweful sound of the blowing Doe at least 3 times so far just trying to get to my stand in the mornings.But I will press on like I know you all will because we learn something new every hunt and it gives us hope for the next.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:15 PM
Fork Horn

I cannot tell you how many times over the years that, I got busted or a deer was in perfect range but somehow managed to stay behind something until out of range. There are times that you think you made the prefect shot and inexplicably miss. I have had it happen with firearms. There is sometimes that little sapling or branch not seen through the scope that deflects the shot. It is all part of the package.

To make up for it, there are also the times when a bow shot deer drops in place because the arrow deflected upwards from a rib into the spine. You could not do it on purpose. The same goes for the doe running away at 60 yards who dropped from my slug gun and we could not find a mark. Thought I scared it to death! Turned out that the deer was lopping along and the slug went between the rear legs and into the chest hitting the heart.

The good and unfortunate even out over time. They all make memories.