Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

where to sit

Old 10-16-2011, 07:49 AM
Fork Horn

Default where to sit

Hey all, I am wondering what you guys think about this ?
I got selected for the Nepaug Controlled hunt again this year, it's in Conn the property is 1000 acers basically its a big ridge line that butts to a resivor, there's everything thick pines, hardwoods, swamps to clear cuts, old tote roads, rock walls its perfect terrain !
I am seeing sign everywhere, But have very few sightings. the sightings I have had are in spots of laurel so thick you just gotta be on the right trail and the trails are everywhere !!!! hit the swamps not much, hardwoods squirls and turkey galore but no deer,
is it possible this ridge is mostly night time activity ?
last year I saw most of the deer over the line where u cant hunt lol typical right . with-in the area i saw 20 or so ( in Super thick area ) and Saw natta one durring shotgun season, out of 110 people only 6 or 8 for shot gun the rest archery, where taken on 1000 acers !!! 26 for the year with 3 1/2 months of archery hunting, I did take take 1 doe there there last season archery but i had major hours in nothing yet this year.
does anyone have any ideas ? I've sat various spots from one end the the other. I never did sit the old logging roads not much sign on them
theres gotta be a spot in here im missing, or its Just a night time area ???
I have been looking at crossings on lines where i have seen them but its always first and last light. and i ususally see them right after and before legal shooting there leaving and comming. otherwise so far only in the thick have I seen anything.
Old 10-16-2011, 12:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like You need to sit further in where they are coming out or further the other direction?Some times You have to stay on a all-day hunt and see what exactly the Deer are doing?Is there a food source to one end,they may be hitting it then coming back to their bedding area's?Setting up a trail camera will give You a better idea of when the Deer are moving...be sure to stay as scent-free as possible and try to hunt the wind.