Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Where do you buy your hunting maps ? >

Where do you buy your hunting maps ?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Where do you buy your hunting maps ?

Old 10-13-2011, 09:51 PM
Spike

Default Where do you buy your hunting maps ?

Where do you guys buy, order your hunting maps from ? I've used Google maps for quick reference but it's not very detailed, precise, etc. For those of you that do use maps, where, how did you order yours ?
Old 10-14-2011, 04:31 AM
Spike

Check the U.S. Geological Survey for excellent topo. maps. There are a number of places you can get specific mapping software. I think Bass Pro and Cabela's carry them too.
Old 10-15-2011, 02:39 AM
Fork Horn

I bought a nice topo map of our hunting area last year from mytopomap.com and it is pretty nice. It's waterproof and you can order what format you want (lat/long, UTM, mill grid, etc.) and specialize other map aspects such as grid size, 2d or 3d and other nice features. Works pretty nice for finding obscure hotspots and downloading them to the gps too.
Old 10-15-2011, 04:50 AM
Typical Buck

I use different sources,
I bought national geographic map for the adirondacks, which is very gOod, it includes trail information and leanto locations
I also bought a local set of maps published by a local society for catskill mountains, which is also very good, includes drinkavle water sources.
I have a usgs map for my quadrant, its ok, but their maps tend to be outdated, and only show major trails. Some of theiir maps are +20 yrs old.
I also use google/mytopo etc, and they tend to be hit or miss on accuracy,
When I look for new maps to purchase I try to look for local sources,
They tend to be the most up to date and detailed
Old 10-15-2011, 12:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Terasec
I use different sources,I also use google/mytopo etc, and they tend to be hit or miss on accuracy,
That's the truth, you have to be exact on what you want or you'll get something close. Great maps, but no more detail than you can get in Google earth.

I bought The National Geographic mapping software years ago and have used it since to build my own maps. Hooks right up with my gps and even allows pictures to be placed at way points. Things been a gold mine. The company is a bit of a tree hugger, but those huggers love to geocache. They upload info of public places you can use when scouting out.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just use my handheld $99 GPS when I am scouting land and then record the coordinates and later type the coord's into Google Earth and check the land. The coordinates are right on and you can zoom down on your property via satelite pics as well as maneuver your PC mouse to see the lay of the land as well as hills and valleys. Good Luck.

Last edited by RidgeFACTOR; 10-17-2011 at 03:12 PM.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:43 PM
Spike

if you are hunting out west then a company called huntinggpsmaps.com excellent mapping for your computer or hand held GPS
U.S. forest service
USGS
BLM
Old 10-19-2011, 05:50 PM
Fork Horn

Any of you guys tried Bing??? Bing.com has great maps...I don't use Google anymore.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:46 AM
Typical Buck

you guys must hunt some crazy terrain I have used google earth before but really dont need maps around here my map is a beat down deer path,and the nearest downed tree to set in.
Old 10-21-2011, 03:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by StealthHtr22
Any of you guys tried Bing??? Bing.com has great maps...I don't use Google anymore.
i just looked at one area using bing, map is older than google and didn't zoom in as far.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.