Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Used Mathews, which one to consider? >

Used Mathews, which one to consider?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Used Mathews, which one to consider?

Old 10-08-2011, 04:27 AM
Typical Buck

Default Used Mathews, which one to consider?

I have a Mathews Q2 made from 2000-2004 and while still in very nice shape and no good reason to get rid of it, but I have a desire to pick up another mathews. I don't want to spend big money and buy the latest/greatest but I think Mathews made some nice improvements in subsequent bows like the Outback, Switchback or ???

Anyway, I realize the warranty may be an issue since it is orig owner but I'll look on ebay and craigslist to find a used mathews but wanted your input on what should be my top choices and which ones i should stay away from. To be used for florida deer hunting.
Old 10-08-2011, 05:21 AM
Typical Buck

i think all of them have their advantages from year to year. I shoot the switchback xt and love it. I have a buddy who shoots the reezen and he cant part with that. My father just bought a used z7 for $500 from bowsite this summer and he loves that so it is hard to tell you which one is the best lol. If you are buying over the internet i guess the only thing you can do is look into the specs of all the different models and find what meets your needs. Hope you find a good deal.
Old 10-08-2011, 07:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

i say the feather lite
Old 10-08-2011, 05:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

Mathews bows have steadily been getting less and less shootable since the switchback XT. DXT, Drenalin, Reezen, Z bows..... all are downgrades from the SBXT IMO.

The SBXT would be my choice in a used Mathews.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:50 AM
Fork Horn

I owned a drenalin and shot it for 2 years and it was a great bow. It was extremely smooth and quiet and fairly fast. I wish I had never got rid of mine. I would have to say it's an upgrade from the sbxt considering the cams are similar the drenalin has a better riser, limbs and weighs less and a little faster.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a XT and love it. I'm gonna keep it as long as I can. Just had it re stringed.
Old 10-09-2011, 12:54 PM
Fork Horn

Anytime a thread like this comes up i always see ALOT of votes for the Switchback. Never hear anything bad about it.

I think i am going to pick one up myself someday for a backup bow.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:45 PM
Fork Horn

I had a q2 for 6 years. Awesome bow! I now shoot a z7 and its the best bow i have ever shot. I have shot every Mathews to date since 2001 du to my buddy being a mathews dealer. if you wanted to go a couple years older I would go with the switchback xt or the switchback
Old 10-10-2011, 02:40 AM
Typical Buck

good feedback, thank you. I spoke to a longtime mathews pro, ran the shop for many years before retiring. He now works part time at a shop that does not sell mathews. I asked him which he liked best and he said the switchback and the z7 are in his opinion, two of the best bows they've ever made. Somewhat consistent w/ what I've seen here.

I may call the local shop and see if they have any leftover z7's.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I do like the Z7 quite a bit. However, I don't feel that is vastly better than many of their others. I shoot an Outback and love it. Fits me well, feels right...like a match made in heaven! The sbxt is an outstanding bow as well. The only reason I got the Outback is that I found it for a good bit cheaper on ebay. After shooting several bows from multiple companies, these were two of my top three.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.