Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
OH Nuisance Permit >

OH Nuisance Permit

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

OH Nuisance Permit

Old 09-26-2011, 04:25 PM
Fork Horn

Default OH Nuisance Permit

Fellow hunters, it has been a while since I have been on this site. I moved a few times and then worked on my man cave. I will have to post the pics with last year's big 11pt. with a 21.25" inside spread. Well, that was my catch up. I have over 200 acres of land to hunt BUT one individual has a nuisance permit and is grossly diminishing the herd. I was told that the person took "over a dozen and a half" this year alone. You ask why I still hunt and the answer is that the deer that are left are 150 class. Years after years of this occuring, the wise bucks have found a way to live in the area. Last year, I found several deer with poor rifle shot placements, which is really depressing. To make matters worse, last year a shot was within 80 yards of me as I was walking back to my vehicle with bow in hand and spotlight on me. I made a few comments but nothing changed. I certainly have many options but wanted to know the law before making a decision. Suggestions welcome and good luck to all.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Depends on the state I guess. Are you saying Ohio? If so I don't think high powered rifles are allowed with any permit.

Last edited by nodog; 09-27-2011 at 02:05 AM.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:10 PM
Fork Horn

Well, it sounded like a high power rifle, it was at night, and they were using a spot light. Certainly sounds like a lot of legal fun. Really? I cannot see this being a hunter. I just do not get it.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:54 PM
Fork Horn

A lot of time the farmers in the area will get nuisance permits if the deer have a major affect on the crops. Im not sure but i think that they can only kill a certain number of deer, but i may be wrong. They ARE aloud to use a rifle though, or any weapon of choice.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I live in Ohio and you can use a rifle on deer with a nuisance permit. However, I thouhgt the nuisance permits were only good up until the season started.
Old 10-07-2011, 02:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Why can a high powered rifle be used with a nuisance permit and not a hunting permit. Makes no sense not that government regulation has to. I thought we used slugs for safety?
Old 10-09-2011, 07:37 PM
Typical Buck

In ohio you can use a high-powered rifle or whatever to kill deer with. The reason is that there is not going to be a couple hundred thousand hunters out with a high-powered rifle at once. Kinda the same reason you can use them on groundhogs, coyotes, etc. Now one thing that I would be questioning is the spotlighting. You used to be able to shine but I know that this year my permit was a no go on shining and everyone else I talked to wasn't allowed either. The limit on my permit is 5 people and 5 deer are allowed on each permit giving so a total of 25 deer. As far as diminishing the herd goes...it depends really. If there is a serious problem it will only control them at best. The property I got access to this year actually took 20 deer off of it during gun season and not with permits, they just had that many people throughout the week and the day after gun season they saw 16 deer out in the cut corn feeding at once.
Old 10-16-2011, 04:04 PM
Fork Horn

I really do not see that need to get these permits in OH, PA, MI, or WV. I hunt all 4 states and have yet to find a location where the damage is significant. There usually are a few corners hit but that is it. To desimate the heard just because you do not want any damage it not right. That is not management. Baiting is another thing that sucks, but yes I do because one doesn't have a choice if someone is doing it 100 yards from you. Not sure what the DNR is thinking anymore. Hunted this past weekend in Armstrong county in PA and saw ~10 deer all day on the ATVs and did not see a deer in the morning with the bow. Sorry, just venting but I am still having a ton of fun. Just wish that there were larger deer populations.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:44 PM
Typical Buck

Well if you saw the farm I hunt you see that this farmer takes a pretty big hit. There's isn't a place visible that you don't see damage. Another thing is these deer don't hit just the corners and most of the damage is done 50,100,200,300 yards into the corn. Some of these farmers rely 100% on there crops to live and when you run your combine through the corn and their losing 20% or more of their income something needs to be done. I have more then one farm I hunt that has this problem. IMO ODNR has done a great job of managing our herd. I'm 25 years old and when I was 11 you could only shoot 1 deer a season and now most of the state can take up to 6 if your in the right zone. Sorry your not seeing a ton of deer but hang in there and hope you get one this year!!
Old 02-17-2017, 05:09 PM
Spike

Actually deer damage is quite severe. My family owns an Orchard in North East Ohio. A single doe can do hundreds of dollars of damages in a single night to the fruit trees. And in Ohio (or at least my area) hunting with a spotlight is permitted.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.