Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

New Bow

Old 09-22-2011, 11:26 AM
Spike

Default New Bow

Im looking for a first time bow for deer hunting im completely new to it i have shot compound bows before just not owned one.. im looking for a decent brand and price im looking into the 300-500 range any suggestions?
Old 09-22-2011, 12:18 PM
Fork Horn

You could get a mid range combo from a Cabelas or bass pro for that price. They are all pretty comparable at that price range. I would suggest buying a more top of the line bow that is a couple of years old. Most of the time you can get a good deal on a used bow and they are already set up, ready to hunt.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:47 PM
Fork Horn

Martin has some really nice bows that I have been impressed with when I've seen them in action. I think one of my buddies has a "cheetah"... Or something to that effect, fast and quiet.

Note: He bought his through ebay and saved a boatload! Somewhere around $300 brand new...

Last edited by IOWABUCKHUNTR; 09-22-2011 at 12:50 PM.
Old 09-22-2011, 02:29 PM
Fork Horn

I just got the 2011 Diamond Outlaw with a package deal for 499 at gander. I love it
Old 09-22-2011, 08:05 PM
Fork Horn

i first started with and pse deer hunter 300 or so for the whole kit the cams are really small and plastic but it killed deer. my wife is using it now to learn how to shoot a bow.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:17 AM
Spike

I personally shoot a Mission Venture, its $500 new for the just the bow, so it may end up a little over what you wanna spend, but you could always look for one used. Missions are made by Mathews, extremely high quality for the price. I love mine
Old 09-23-2011, 09:02 PM
Spike

If the compounds you shot belong to friends, talk to them. If not, go to a pro shop and talk to them (find one you have confidence in).
Most of them will allow you to try a variety of bows to get one you like and that fits you. They will also help you with the initial set-up of the bow (setting nock height, tying in peep sights, tying on string loops, etc.).

If you order one from Cabelas or Bass Pro, you'll have to do all this yourself (which can be a little overwhelming at first) or pay someone else to do it. A well cared for used bow is also a good option but, if it is already set -up for someone else, it might not fit you, exactly, and you're back to square one.

The pro shop bow might cost a little more (might not) but, if you don't have knowledgable friends who can get you pointed in the right direction, it will save you a lot of headaches with your first bow.

Last thought. Don't scrimp on arrows. If you have good arrows you can shoot well with any bow but, if you have junk arrows, the best bow out there won't group them.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:04 PM
Spike

i think im going to go with the diamond outlaw R.A.K seems like its priced right