Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
When, in Minnesota, is the best time to rattle and call? >

When, in Minnesota, is the best time to rattle and call?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

When, in Minnesota, is the best time to rattle and call?

Old 09-17-2011, 09:11 PM
Spike

Question When, in Minnesota, is the best time to rattle and call?

When in a general would be the best time to start calling and rattling?
Like when do start<morning or evening>? How long? With what frequency?
Thanks all help is very appreciated.
Ryan
Old 09-19-2011, 03:26 PM
Fork Horn

Come on you Minnesota hunters help this guy out!

Young Hunter,
From my experience in Iowa, I try not to call and rattle until the last week in October or the first week in November. Until then, I try to set up in travel corridors that the deer frequent.

Note: the following has worked for me and I am in no way a professional or expert.

As for the rattling, you want to try to mimic an actual sparring session between two bucks. I start out with a light "tickle" of the horns, which mimics the initial contact between two bucks. After about 20-30 seconds of light sparse rattling, i tend to get a little more aggressive and knock them around harder, and let the mass of the rattling antlers deaden the sounds. I normally do not exceed a rattle sequence of more than 3-5 minutes.

Also, I usually rattle late in the morning, 9:30am-10:30 if I stay in the tree that long, and only if I haven't seen any action for a while.

Hopefully some guys from your neck of the woods can help you out with more local techniques and timing.
Old 09-19-2011, 05:24 PM
Fork Horn

What he said! Less is more in my opinion. I like to set up in the travel corridors as well and if I'm not seeing anything for a while later in the morning of mid-day then I'll rattle a bit and I give plenty of time in between rattlings, 15 minutes at least usually to give a buck time to work their way around toward where he heard the sound since he usually circles in downwind. I'll start mid October and try it til mid November. Ideally, though, I'm not rattling, just set up where I can suprise a buck. It's more if its slow and so why not. You usually won't scare them during the rut. You might make them curious or it might have no effect or they will come charging in hopefully.