Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Lunar (moon phase) Game Movement Question >

Lunar (moon phase) Game Movement Question

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Lunar (moon phase) Game Movement Question

Old 09-13-2011, 06:39 AM
Fork Horn

Default Lunar (moon phase) Game Movement Question

This is definitely one debatable subject. The movement of deer in my area does not seem to have a pattern to it that I have figured out yet. Tonnes of deer one night, no deer for the next week, etc.

Anyway I bought a program that incorporates lunar data with solar data to provide idea times to hunt and best days of the month. I have to test it further to make any definite conclusions. However most of these programs suggest the best days to hunt are on a full moon and new moon. They also offer the worst days to hunt (the days half way in between the those previously mentioned). However up here in Alberta I am seeing exactly the opposite. The days deemed as terrible have seen excellent movement on both camera and while hunting, while the new moon/full moon are by far the worst. This was observed by myself and a friend who hunts in another county.

Is deer movement backwards for Canadians compared to down south? Are you guys seeing the best movement on full/new moon days?

(P.S. I will update my observations as the season rolls on)
Old 09-13-2011, 09:22 AM
Fork Horn

I reckon that if you see a distinct correlation, it just may be the opposite... Perhaps it has to do more with temperature than lunar activity. I.E. Naturally the seasons are warmer closer to the equator???
Old 09-14-2011, 09:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

The only correlation with moon phase I have confidence in is when there is a full moon overhead all night, there will be significantly less daytime activity the following day. Other than that, I think weather conditions and rut phase play a much larger role...
Old 09-14-2011, 09:42 AM
Fork Horn

I looked more into the matter and it seems some hunt calculators have a bit of a flaw as they are geared at fish. If using the moon the best time to hunt is when the moon is directly overhead or underfoot and you are in the right spot for the time of day (i.e. in the woods for noon overhead moon, etc)
Old 09-14-2011, 10:55 AM
Fork Horn

Here in Indiana, I have observed that deer movement on week of a full moon, is heavier between 10 a.m. & 2 p.m. So I tend to sleep in a little longer that week.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:33 PM
Fork Horn

Just an update I watch a DVD on hunting by the moon and it suggests multiple things, but specifically a quarter moon is ideal if you on a field edge. This more correlates with what I saw.

Realistically does anyone believe in hunting by the moon other than avoiding hunting field edges during a full moon?
Old 10-05-2011, 02:54 PM
Fork Horn

http://www.imbmonsterbucks.com/info.php?id=64

Heres something you might be interested in. I personally do not go off of lunar activity, there are just natural times when you will see an increase or decrease in activity.

Of course some people will say deer dont move during the full moon, its because they didn't go out to see if they are! They learned from someone that learned from someone that said it is a bad time to go out. With the technology that is going into the fields today, you would think people would have a better understanding of the whitetail deer and their patterns and habits... Also, be wary of any advice you get; far often the patterns and specifics of the deer are localized and can vary from 20 miles away all the way to 500 miles away.