Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

trail cams

Old 09-10-2011, 04:21 PM
Typical Buck

Default trail cams

Hey everyone just curious about how long u leave your trail cams out when scouting for archey... I try to leave mine out for 10 to 14 days..
Old 09-10-2011, 05:11 PM
Fork Horn

During the offseason at a minimum 14 days... Come deer season, about once a week on my way out of the woods after a hunt. Between what I am seeing and what the trail cams see, we usually can put a pattern together pretty quick.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

haha, i leave mine out for every 2 or 3 days... No sense in leaving them out for more and hunting there if there's not deer there.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:52 AM
Spike

I try not to check them more than once a week, if there is no action then I'll move it after the first week.
Old 09-11-2011, 04:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by wisbowhunter2009
haha, i leave mine out for every 2 or 3 days... No sense in leaving them out for more and hunting there if there's not deer there.
I agree 100%, 3 or 4 days max for me. Trail cameras can do several things for me, 2 of the more important things I use them for is, inventorying deer on a property which you can accomplish before a season even starts, another is monitoring activity once the season starts. One of the best things about using a trail camera is to see if deer are in a particular area and if its a buck I want, or even if I want to kill a Doe then Im hunting that spot immediately. 2 weeks allot can change, especially with a mature buck with changing early season feeding patterns, to shedding, to monitoring active/fresh rub lines or scrapes.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:07 PM
Spike

I let them soak for 2 weeks
Old 09-13-2011, 07:33 PM
Spike

it depends on the size of your property. i only own 85 ac so my hunting spots are limited. therefore i leave those cams out for about 6 weeks in summer and 4 weeks at a time during the season. if you're hunting 500 ac then checking your cams more often will help because you'll know which 20 ac section to hunt.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:36 PM
Spike

i leave mine for about 2 weeks then check then a week before hunting season i stop puting it out and then i just hunt
Old 09-18-2011, 01:34 PM
Fork Horn

Mine are in well established travel corridors, so i know there will be alot of pictures there. So i leave mine out 1 month at a time. Besides it costs $30 in gas, 5 hours of time, and 3 miles of walking to check them, so i try not to do it too often. And i don't like to leave my scent going in or out every few days or week and educate them too much.

During bow season if i happen to be passing by one of them i will check them as long as it's been sitting at least a week.