Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting vehicle

Old 09-05-2011, 01:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Hunting vehicle

So this past spring, I sold my truck, and we got a Ford Escape. My daily driver is a 2000 Ford Focus, so this will be my hunting rig this year. I was thinking about getting one of those racks that slide into the reciever that holds extra luggage to haul my deer. Anyone else have a car for their hunting rig? If so, how do you haul your deer?
Old 09-05-2011, 06:37 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by BigDaddy12t
So this past spring, I sold my truck, and we got a Ford Escape. My daily driver is a 2000 Ford Focus, so this will be my hunting rig this year. I was thinking about getting one of those racks that slide into the reciever that holds extra luggage to haul my deer. Anyone else have a car for their hunting rig? If so, how do you haul your deer?
If your car is purely your work vehicle, you could get a fitted rubber liner (mat) for the trunk or stick with the carrier and make it easier to handle the deer and keep the mud, blood and ticks out of your ride. Your not alone with downgrading your vehicle, alot of people doing the samething, i'm not far behind you!
Old 09-05-2011, 08:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've just used the trunks of cars before, with a tarp in place. No problems, I imagine you could fit any deer in most trunks iffin you had some cord to hold the lid down.

On the other hand, I can't wait to use my new big toy

Old 09-06-2011, 01:30 AM
Fork Horn

I use a jeep with a luggage carrier I got from harbor freight. It has a 500lb weight capacity and I havent had any trouble hauling deer with it. Problem is going to be finding a sturdy/higher weight capacity hauler for a smaller hitch that will go on the car. I dont believe they have 2" receiver hitches for smaller vehicles.
Old 09-07-2011, 02:10 AM
Spike

Last year (2010) was the 1st year in more than 25 that I did not have a truck. I used my wife's Toyota Camry with a "Hitch Haul" tray that slides into a receiver. I used it for 2 deer last year and other than the car's low suspension, it worked for what I needed it to do. This year however, I got rid of my Harley and bought another truck. Hoping to break it in with a nice buck in the back!

Old 09-08-2011, 02:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I drive a Ford escape and load up 4 or 5 deer in it every year. I just wrap them in a tarp and lay the seats down if necesary. Last year I laid the seats down and had my gun case back pack a 125# doe and a 210# 10 point in it with out any problem.
Old 09-09-2011, 02:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by RugerM77.270
I drive a Ford escape and load up 4 or 5 deer in it every year. .

For some reason that picture in my mind is very funny. You get'r done, that's what matters.

One year as I was heading to meet up with my brother I was heading down a rural hilly road on a beautiful fall morning. I'd past and near missed some nice deer along the way and the thought of meeting up with my brother was and is a great moment for me. Off in the distance, way off I saw this vehicle coming toward me, except it looked funny. The closer it got the more perplexed I was until it all came into focus. The guy was driving a caddy, not unusual except he had a deer strapped to the hood spread eagle with the cavity staring right at me. Your story reminded me of that.

I love deer season.

I didn't say it right, it was strapped to the hood, but it also covered most of the wind shield. Guy was peeking out through an opening between the hind leg and the front shoulder, driving down the road at 55mph. Still makes me laugh thinking about it.

Last edited by nodog; 09-10-2011 at 01:12 PM.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:04 PM
Spike

I would put the deer in the passenger seat, and use the carpool lane on the way to the check station.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by ricwild
I would put the deer in the passenger seat, and use the carpool lane on the way to the check station.
That's a good one. Have to put you on the "need to read" list.