Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
What target do you leave out side in the elements? >

What target do you leave out side in the elements?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What target do you leave out side in the elements?

Old 09-02-2011, 06:59 PM
Fork Horn

Default What target do you leave out side in the elements?

Ive blown threw a few targets since Ive been shooting. I gotta nice bag morrell thats great , but I wont leave it outside in the rain. Did get a broad head bone collector one with tiffany and whats his name on it. Thing holds up good cookin in the 100 deg NC heat. Hard to pull arrows outta tho. Some of its coming unglued after 6 months. What targets do yall leave outside? How are they fairing against the weather/ shot count? Kinda wanna 3d out there, but if its gunna be a melted deer I cant justify the $

(morrell was 60, delta pos was 39, bone coll broad head was clearence for 40 a 100 target)
Old 09-02-2011, 07:59 PM
Typical Buck

lets see i had a bag from sportsmans warehouse that lasted me two years for 30$. then i had a 3d deer for 70. i shot out the core in about 1 or 2 months. and each core costes 20 i think. so i forgot about it. now i use a some type of block target from dicks and i shot it out in about 2 months. im still searching for a target. i heard the rinehart target is great. it 100 bucks though. if you shoot out like all 8 sides they replace it for free i think. im interested in this thread cause i shoot alot and need a durable target too. and i leave my targets out in all conditions except winter.
Old 09-03-2011, 03:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default I'm so cheap. . .

I don't even leave my homemade foam targets, out in the elements.

As for hunting broadheads, I use them sparingly and only sight them in. Never used them regularly. Those "razor blades", which I sharpen myself, will tear up a target in no time.

I made my homemade targets thinner than the store bought kind, just so I could carry one with my bow and arrows, into and out of my wood lot archery range.

I use foam sheets from the building supply stores (foam insulation sheets) cut into 2' squares. I make a number of sticky point targets on the sheet, to extend the life of the homemade target. (Helps to be accurate with the bow) After awhile I'll rotate the sheets around, so an arrow can't hit all sheets in the same "old" holes.

To make my whole thin targets, I put newspapers (remember them) in between the foam sheets and use masking tape to secure the four ends.

I'm so cheap, I don't have pictures of a deer body on the target. I just imagine them.
Old 09-03-2011, 06:10 AM
Spike

I hear ya in regards to the NC heat let's hope it leaves in the coming weeks or bow season is going to be brutal! Honestly I've gotten to the point where I don't leave anything outside, it simply ruins the target over time. After my 2nd 3d target falling apart and my wallet giving me the evil glare, i broke down and just started carrying it.

Where about in charlotte are ya? There are a good bit of archery ranges around here. Shoot me a PM if u wanna know where they are.
Old 09-03-2011, 11:11 PM
Spike

I got a Mckenzy 3d target, that has been sittin outside for about 5 yrs. Its in pretty bad shape. The weather dose a real number on them. I won't leave another one out.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:52 AM
Fork Horn

I have one of those solid foam block targets (forget the brand name). Works great. Has a rope handle on top so I can easily bring it in after each session, so it's never left out in the elements. It will have to be replaced due to me shooting it full of holes before anything due to the elements.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:01 AM
Spike

I have a Rinehart block target. It was expensive but has really stood up to being shot. I don't leave it outside though..It would grow legs and walk away if I did.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:38 AM
Fork Horn

My wife will not have a deer target in the yard. We have real ones! I use a block target from Dicks holding up well. do not leave it outside either.

CVG Ohio
Old 09-11-2011, 09:47 AM
Spike

i have a block target that i've been using all summer and between my friends and myself it has probably 1500 shots into it, and it's sat outside since april. still holding up fine.