Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Gorilla Climbing Stand >

Gorilla Climbing Stand

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Gorilla Climbing Stand

Old 08-28-2011, 05:17 PM
Spike

Default Gorilla Climbing Stand

Looking at a climber, nervous or more like inexperienced with climbers. Majority time have hunted lock-ons or ladders. Price is a issue. Saw the Gorilla Climbers, anyone have experience with those?

225lb, 6ft.

I know the summit lovers, but trying to stay down on price. But I guess feeling secure and comfortable maybe the reason to go higher.

So, anyone that has had the same nervousness with climbers and heights; that has found the one that works for them let me know. Thanks.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

There's a lot to using a climber well.

Never used the one your thinking about, but I do know what I want in one, do you?

You need a climber that will get you from point A to point B in a way that lets ou take the game your after. What do you need to make that happen?

My current stand is a combination of different stands I've bought and tried over the years. I don't think one company makes a top and a bottom that goes together the best after using many. My stand is probably less than 14 pounds, very adjustable to many tree's, very quiet, goes from my back to the tree in one motion and custom fit to my needs one of them being it keeps my feet warm.

Don't look at this stand purchase as your last, more as an investment in education.
Old 09-01-2011, 05:42 AM
Fork Horn

I would seriously look at the weight of the stand. Carrying an inexpensive stand that weighs 30 lbs and makes noise from the steel cable attachments with every step you take will wreck your hunt. Save your $$ and buy the lightest and quietest stand you can afford.

Brian
Old 09-01-2011, 06:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Looking at a Climber

Things I look at.

Are you fit to carry the climber into and out of the woods. Climbers left out deteriorate and get stolen?

How much does it weigh and will it meet your fitness needs?

What is size and width of the seat and will it be big enough for your posterior?
Hunters can lie; posteriors don't.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:00 AM
Spike

Thanks Guys, I have tried in the past 2 API stands and one old stand all from buddies. One was light and open faced which i couldn't get 8' and feel comfortable. So, realized quick, need the climbing bar. Then I had a guy give me his old stand because he bought a Lone Wolf and that sucker was heavy. I carried it a couple times, sat in it one hunt, then the second hunt I stood up and the stand shifted with me and I almost lost it. So, learned heavy (pushing 30lbs heavy isn't what I want and then the shifting lost me. That was the last time I used a climber. The first one I used was a older API, weight likely in the low 20's, cross bar and canvas sling seat. I got used to that one and loved it. Shot a turkey with bow out of it. But he had to have it back he sold it to a buddy. So, that is where I am at. I know I can do it, Im just trying to find "that stand" and so just probeing for input with anyone that started off in the same boat and ability.
Old 09-01-2011, 05:34 PM
Fork Horn

My father in law uses a Gorilla, I would say it packs in and out well and climbs easily but it can be a pain having to fumble with pins in the dark using a flash light or head light. It is ok on comfort but I would not be able to stay all day in it and I don't think he can either. I made a conscious decision to wait until I could afford a Summit because of the ease of use. I hated fumbling with pins, the summit has a quick cabling system that solved that problem. I hated trying to get my boots into straps on the platform, the Summit solved that problem with the rapid climb stirrups. Every other stand I have used I could only make it 5-7 hours on stand, the Summit is so comfortable I can sit all day long now without a problem. I am not telling you to go buy a Summit but you should first identify what you want out of your stand and then find one that addresses those desires.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:03 PM
Spike

Thanks. What Summit have you used? I know folks are on the viper, but I have had an eye on the 180 too because looks to me like more room even if I wouldn't really use the reverse seat setup. Or maybe I would. That does seem to the be consistent opinion on the summits that they are comfortable. Oh....... I may be leaning to breaking the bank.

Thanks for the Gorilla information
Old 09-02-2011, 03:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

The Gorilla is a solid stand but has some negatives such as weight, pins to mess with, and noise. The Summits and the Lone Wolf are definately at the top of the list when it comes to climbers. There are other good ones out there but for my money those two have the least amount of negatives. The Treewalkers are a solid choice too but they use pins to adjust the cables. Something I personally don't like.

Blessings.......Pastorjim
Old 09-02-2011, 04:30 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by eerdog
Thanks. What Summit have you used? I know folks are on the viper, but I have had an eye on the 180 too because looks to me like more room even if I wouldn't really use the reverse seat setup. Or maybe I would. That does seem to the be consistent opinion on the summits that they are comfortable. Oh....... I may be leaning to breaking the bank.

Thanks for the Gorilla information
I bought the Titan because I am 6' 3" and 245 lbs and the Titan is the largest climber they make, It's very comfortable for a guy my size.