Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
new bow recommendation >

new bow recommendation

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

new bow recommendation

Old 08-20-2011, 02:30 PM
Fork Horn

Default new bow recommendation

So a few weeks from the opener, I break one of the limbs on my bow. I'm still looking for a replacement limb, but the bow is old and will probably need to buy a new bow. I hadn't even considered buying a new bow this year, so I'm scrambling to narrow down the list.

I'm looking for a solid low/mid price compound bow, want to buy it from my local shop (Jefferson Archery), so looking at Mathews, Bowtech, Mission, Elite Archery. I am checking out the web, overwelmed by all the different models and features.

Looking for suggestions based on your experience, hoping to have a short list and be ready to buy next week.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-20-2011, 02:42 PM
Typical Buck

well for a low/mid price bow my idea would be of that price would be 350-650? you can get a lot of good bows for that price. You could get a used bow from last year like a nice matthews or hoyt. or you could buy a nice PSE or Bear bow brand new in that range. I know in my shops around here they have a Bear Carnage going for $650. i heard a lot of people say it is an outstanding bow. PSE has a stinger which is similar to Bear archery charge. Uh PSE also has the Madness which im sure you could find for around 600 used. good luck hope you get a good one before the season comes rollin' around! (sorry i dont have to much information on the brands you listed, but i thought this might be better than nothing)
Old 08-20-2011, 02:44 PM
Fork Horn

I bought the Z7 Magnum earlier this year...Shot it against the Extreme and I think it has an easier draw cycle(longer axle to axle) and it gave me an extra 10fps...I'm a speed freak so because of the easier draw cycle and the extra speed I went with the Magnum..

JMO from a faithfull Mathews Customer!
Old 08-21-2011, 05:33 AM
Typical Buck

I bought my current bow off of Ebay 4 years ago, Hoyt Trykon for under $300, used. Shouldn't have a problem if you buy from an established seller.
Old 08-21-2011, 05:39 AM
Spike

I have the fred bear "strike", and i love the darn thing its quiet, fast, and accurate. price tags around 400-600 depending on if u get the package or not. so im no expert but i definatly enjoy this bow, suprised i dont see it more on the forum.....
Old 08-21-2011, 06:03 AM
Spike

Shoot everything you can, and go with what you feel most comfortable with regardless of the brand name!!!
Old 08-21-2011, 05:34 PM
Spike

ya know they say... get serious. get hoyt. haha jk man, shoot several models and pick the most comfortable
Old 08-21-2011, 06:49 PM
Spike

Well I like my Martin bow, I bought mine off of Amazon this year, got a great deal for it. I bought one of those ready to hunt packages
Old 08-21-2011, 06:56 PM
Fork Horn

What can you afford? What do you want to spend? And then start shooting bows in that range at the pro shop. I just got a Diamond Outlaw package and really like it but to each their own.
Old 08-21-2011, 06:58 PM
Spike

i currently shoot a mathews and love it. i am also not one of those guys that says "mathews is the only good bow brand." i recently shot a Quest Rev by G5 at bass pro shops. i was really impressed, and i noticed the other day that huntersfriend.com has them on sale, ready-to-shoot for $699. now i guess that isnt low/mid range, but that comes with a dozen custom arrows, and everything else you need including a case. im sure if you call them they can tell you what the price would be if you dont need everything just the bow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.