Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
shooting from an elevated platform at home? >

shooting from an elevated platform at home?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

shooting from an elevated platform at home?

Old 08-18-2011, 02:34 PM
Spike

Default shooting from an elevated platform at home?

How do you practice shooting from an elevated platform at home? I really don’t have a place to hang an extra stand near home for practicing purposes, so I was wondering how other people practice? I can shoot my bow from a level surface without problem. I have plenty of space to shoot, just not a tree that works. I also can’t make and keep a free standing platform up.
Old 08-18-2011, 02:43 PM
Fork Horn

Roof of the garage or house? Temorary Scaffolding? Without a tree or something to mount a stand it is difficult to practice those shots. We actually got an old telephone pole from a local company when they were replacing them and augered out a hole and set it up with a set of sticks and a stand.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:48 PM
Fork Horn

What about a cheapo tripod stand. They make these run and gun ones now that might blow over in a good breeze.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:05 AM
Fork Horn

I built a raised platform in my back yard to shoot from but I have always wondered how hanging a stand from my chimney or leaning a ladder stand up against it would work out.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:13 AM
Fork Horn

I have always shot off my back deck.... its about 8 foot up and our side yard runs downhill. I realize though that you may not have an elevated back deck though ha. I have in the past went to a friends hows who had younger siblings and shot off their play equipment,,if you have kids you could invest in a something like this and kill two birds with one stone. I have also shot off the roof of houses, not a big fan if the house has shingled roofing....
Old 08-19-2011, 12:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I somtimes shoot out my rear window of my house or you might need to build a platform for yourself
Old 08-23-2011, 08:53 AM
Fork Horn

Back deck. At my last house, I didn't have a deck so I used a ladder stand set up on a tree in the back yard.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:41 PM
Fork Horn

Roof of the shed or house it doesn't simulate the confines of a stand but it gets the job done.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:17 PM
Typical Buck

Although, taking a few shots from elevated is always a good idea for practice, it is not entirely necessary. If you have good form and remember to bend at the waist instead of dropping the arm and changing your anchor point you will hit your mark every time. You can practice form from a treestand from the ground with a small target 2 yard in front of you. This will give you a replicated form from a stand. Remember to use your 40+ yard pin for the close shot or you will shoot over.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Got a practice with your gear as you would hunt with it. Then you'll know just what it's going to do when the time comes to make that shot that's cost you so much time and money. Go to the woods and practice.

I just got done setting up for a shot almost straight down (expected) and 20 yards out with one pin. I don't bend all that well so I have to make things work for me. I wouldn't know that without the practice. If I didn't live in a woods I'd go to one. Just scouted a new place that looks like my setup is made for. Aint going to be easy to get too so not knowing and missing would be an enormous waste of time and money. Just go to the woods 5 or 6 times at least and make the first shot on the money.

Isn't that whole area a big woods