Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Alaska 2011-the Haul Road >

Alaska 2011-the Haul Road

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Alaska 2011-the Haul Road

Old 08-18-2011, 10:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Alaska 2011-the Haul Road

I've recently returned from a trip up the Haul Road. Thought I would share the adventure:

For me, traveling north to catch a south bound caribou herd had its trials and tribulations. The motor home ride from Anchorage to Prudhoe Bay, pure scenic beauty alongside the Alaskan pipeline, exposed me to 1800 miles of greasy dirt and frost heaved highway-40 hours worth. I made this trip with five other fully grown men, our archery gear, and the supplies we would require for a week’s hunt. To say we were “tightly packed” or “over packed” would be an understatement. I endured rattle after rattle, washboard after washboard. I lived through cabinet doors and drawers being agitated open; the action dumped heavy and valued items everywhere. It was truly one pothole after another! Furthermore, I subjected myself to a “no more than 45 miles per hour” long haul (now I know why they call it the Haul Road) and a case of “shaken baby syndrome”, whereas I became the victim. At times, I simply shook my head in disbelief. The things we put ourselves through for a hunt, eh? At this journey’s end, I was definitely worse from the wear.

Prior to this trip, I had made five do-it-yourself jaunts to Alaska pursuing a variety of game. This adventure was going to be, however, my first DIY Alaskan barren ground caribou hunt without the assistance of a “fly-in” transportation service. With bird’s eye memories from past hunts, I was eager to make comparisons...

We had passed several cow moose and calves browsing on our way north-very cool. But more than anything, I so wanted to see a grizzly bear. What I would give to photograph a large bruin! It never happened. The top of Denali was hidden by low clouds…trees turned to tundra at mile marker 235 on the Dalton Highway, also known as the Haul Road. A few miles later, we crested Atigun Pass. The search for huntable caribou began.

It didn’t take long. We encountered these two and glassed a few hundred more on the distant horizon. The occupants of our RV were as giddy as school boys…for obvious reasons.

At this point, we were all excited to stop, set up camp, and start our hunt! We were in the Arctic- hunting arctic slope caribou no less! We also realized we were going to be around for five days! We had seen caribou, and each day was going to provide us with 20 hours of huntable daylight. Could it get any better?

We knew our pot of gold was out there!

It was just over the next hill...

On the other side of that river! We stopped.

Camp was established near mile marker 96, just below Oil Spill Hill. The banks of the Sagavanirktok River (the “sag”) were a stone throw away, and rumor had it, world class arctic char, graying, and whitefish graced every pool. Something in me felt fly rods would be pitching to fly thrashers! I never imagined a few would take advantage of both fishing and hunting opportunities simultaneously!

Jerry Fletcher has been bitten by the outdoor bug in a real bad way!

We caught enough 14-16 inch grayling to feed an army! Naturally, most were caught and released but enough made it to the grill. Grayling is now officially on my favorite fish to eat list. Even in the absence of lemon and butter, this fish’s flavor cooked over willow coals and spiced with Montreal steak seasoning is fit for a king.

We arrived on the first day well after 3 pm; five of us decided to inflate a raft and venture across the Sag. Again, caribou were on the horizon and it only seemed logical to go after them. I was quickly reacquainted with the difficulties of walking on spongy tundra. Making it to the distant horizon seemed to be an exercise in futility…the vastness, well it just kept on going. The outbound and return walk only made us more tired. The adrenalin of “just being there” wore off, and we settled into our racks for some well deserved sleep.

I spent day two guarding a crossing point on the opposite bank of the Sag. Earlier that morning, I watched five caribou cross the river. From my experience on past hunts, I expected more to follow. This point had its pro and cons. It afforded me very little range to glass the distance, but when and if the caribou arrived, they would be right on top of me. I was expecting short range shots. The rest of my group played the role of shortstop at various locations of their own choosing. Randy Huff had a caribou bed down near his location. He stalked within 13 yards and delivered a fatal arrow. The day drifted by and no caribou passed within range for the rest of us.

Doug Moreland stands guard at a crossing point.

I was up early on day three. Doug Moreland sounded the alarm when he noticed five caribou in the distance. The caribou were heading our direction and then decided to bed down. The vigil was on. When the caribou returned to their feet, they started straight for the spot I had been the day before. I ran as fast as I could to a high point on the west side of the river (revisit the photo of Jerry fishing. The high point I speak of is the dark green point about an inch above his head). Doug came with me. Neither of us was fast enough to cut off the caribou. Them swam the river and continued southward. However, that made ten caribou through the same spot on the river. I was beginning to connect the dots. I popped open my Montana decoy and set up shop. This new location gave me a commanding view, nothing was going through unnoticed. It also offered me some flexibility to move either up or down the river. Flexibility is critical when caribou hunting! Here's a view from my new perch.

And the Montana decoy I established behind my position.

Now keep in mind, my goal for this trip had two priorities: 1) I wanted to photograph flora and fauna, and 2) I wanted to merely arrow a caribou-any caribou (I have two big bulls on the wall already). Please allow me to share a few photos:

This Musk Ox walked 20 feet behind me, catching me totally by surprise. As I watched him ambled past, I had the wind in my face and remained completely motionless. He was thirty yards away when I snapped this photo. I seriously gave him the berth he deserved. The last thing I wanted was a startled charging bull.

Caribou number eleven (and the last caribou I would see crossing) came around noon. Here’s her approach:

And this is what greeted her when she arrived on my side of the river:

She gave me a 46 yard quartering away shot the moment she stepped from the water. She barely had enough time to shake herself dry!

Mission accomplished!

I judge my trips by this simple standard, “would I do it again?” In this case, the answer’s a resounding YES-minus the motor home! A 4x4 pickup loaded with proper gear (e.g. tents, coolers, chairs, camp ware, etc.) would have given us more flexibility and less expense. It would have made hauling the raft easier too! The raft is a must!

As I age, I’m beginning to understand there’s nothing easy about hunting Alaska…fun YES, easy no-HELL NO!
Old 08-18-2011, 02:12 PM
Fork Horn

Wow, sounded like a great experience, and great photos to go along with it! Sounds like another hunt that you most certainly won't forget...

And you got me interested in the "DIY Alaska" trip...
Old 08-18-2011, 04:07 PM
Fork Horn

awesome story and photos
Old 08-18-2011, 05:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Iowa,

If you are prudent and watch your resources, you can do this hunt for around $1200. Get three friends and go! I did not like hunting this early. It was too warm and the caribou remained on the coastline farther north-away from the bugs more inland. Many locals thought we were crazy for hunting so early. They recommended hunting around the first of September. From what I understand though, eating the caribou later, as they get closer to rut, becomes a problem. Moreover, you'll have to deal with more hunters on the road. I would also recommend ten days instead of a week, if you can afford the time. Make sure you have a raft and a few extra gas cans (gas in Prudhoe was expensive).

Also remember you must have bowhunter education to hunt in this bow only zone. Either an IBEP or NBEP certification works fine.

Last edited by iamyourhuckleberry; 08-18-2011 at 05:11 PM.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great story & pics...I enjoyed it. Booking my first trip to Alaska for next july as we speak!
Old 08-18-2011, 06:49 PM
Fork Horn

Very cool and great story!
Old 08-18-2011, 07:40 PM
Fork Horn

Great Story. Me and 2 buddies are going Sept 1 for 9 days. We are all stationed up here in the Army in Fairbanks. We are driving up to Pump Station 4 and walking 5 miles in to get outside the corridor. Hopefully we have some good luck.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ah, Alaska. How I miss it. Beautiful pictures as always. Thanks for sharing. Spent 9 months in North Pole and yes those Grayling are delicious.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jimmy,

I am so envious! Good luck getting your bou! Pay attention to all the sheep up there too!

I'm not sure I could take all the darkness Chuck...then again, I would do a lot for a dall and a griz. Those two species are still on my bucket list.

It seems so strange to have been in the artic two weekends ago and in Wyoming arrowing this goat this past Saturday:

Last edited by iamyourhuckleberry; 08-22-2011 at 07:50 PM.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:43 AM
Spike

awesome story and photos