Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 ' Tis the season for piebalds..... >

' Tis the season for piebalds.....

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

' Tis the season for piebalds.....

Old 08-08-2003, 06:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default ' Tis the season for piebalds.....

My wife and I were out driving around last night and saw a piebald for the second time in a few weeks. I saw this same doe last summer as well. This year she has a fawn with her. She' s at least 2-1/2 years old....she was an adult sized deer last year. I' ve already dedicated the first 3 weeks of archery season to her. [8D] My scouting will be done with as little intrusion as possible and only in Scent-lok and rubber boots. [:-] I' m very excited as I think she' ll make a great rug! [&:]
Old 08-08-2003, 06:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: ' Tis the season for piebalds.....

I would rather pass on the pie bald and shoot some that isn' t so rare. Save the piebald for viewing enjoyment!
Old 08-08-2003, 07:50 AM

I agree with both of you so far. If it' s kind of protected area, then I might not take it. If it an area that get moderate to heavy pressure, I' d take it, if I could. If you don' t someone else will.
Old 08-08-2003, 07:55 AM

I don' t care if the darn thing is pink - if its got a good rack - I am dropping the hammer
Old 08-08-2003, 08:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

I would take a piebald in a heartbeat, buck or doe, they are gentically inferior usually.
Old 08-08-2003, 09:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don' t care if the darn thing is pink - if its got a good rack - I am dropping the hammer
It' s a doe!

I would rather pass on the pie bald and shoot some that isn' t so rare. Save the piebald for viewing enjoyment!
I' ll send you pics and maybe even invite you in to see the rug!

[I agree with both of you so far. If it' s kind of protected area, then I might not take it. If it an area that get moderate to heavy pressure, I' d take it, if I could. If you don' t someone else will.
I' ve seen this deer 3 times since last year. I haven' t even hunted an area close toit yet.....or I may have held out for it last year. The place I' ve seen it is off of a forest service road. This road is one of two continuously open to public travel. A lot of pressure in the area during rifle season lends me to believe I should have it with my bow before somebody else gets it with a rifle.

I would take a piebald in a heartbeat, buck or doe, they are gentically inferior usually.
Exactly! Piebald, albino & malanistic deer have a genetic abnormallity. There is no reason for these deer to be protected as they are in some states. We as hunters should be doing our job of controlling the deer herd for optimum health. While I don' t know if the above mentioned traits are in any way a health threat, there is no reason to allow inferior genetics to become normal in the herd.
Old 08-08-2003, 03:13 PM

if its brown its down, well in this case white and brown
Old 08-09-2003, 07:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

Silent, that' s like saying passing a world class buck so you can view it next year.... IF given the opportunity, I take that piebald over a respectable buck anytime. How many of us here have taken bucks? Now how many have taken piebalds? It' s a rare trophy in deed and one I' d like to view on the wall for rest of my life. I hunted one 2 years ago exclusively and passed on some nice racks while doing it. I never took her. I had her at aroun 50 yards on several occassions but in the open timber it was tough to get closer. She appeared like a ghost each time and usually caught me doing something stupid before I caught her. Really made stop and think that if a almost white doe could sneek in on me and catch me 25-30 ft in a tree, how many other deer have done the same thing and I never saw them due to thier natural camo. (brown/black and tan).
Old 08-09-2003, 09:50 AM

Here is a pic of a piebald I took last year. I had no qualms about releasing on him. He didn' t have much for headgear, but like Rob said in his post above how many can say they have taken a piebald. This was also my very first bowhunt...ever! Beginners luck I guess.

Old 08-09-2003, 10:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

Dan, absolutely beautiful....congratulations. [8D]

Quick Reply: ' Tis the season for piebalds.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.