Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
New Bowhunter Arrow question >

New Bowhunter Arrow question

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

New Bowhunter Arrow question

Old 08-13-2011, 05:39 PM
Fork Horn

Default New Bowhunter Arrow question

Hi guys I am a new bowhunter and have a question. Should the broadhead or field tip match the weight of the shaft? Example 100 grain field tips on a 100 grain arrow? How should I setup my arrows?

Thanks
croc
Old 08-13-2011, 06:24 PM
Fork Horn

I'm new to bow hunting myself but if I'm not mistaken whatever the broadhead grain is , you should use the same grain fieldtips. You'll still have to change the settings when you shot broadheads probably but not to much. I know that everyone on here will tell you to practice alot and if you can, practice like you were hunting. Not really sure about the shaft tough. My pro shop set me up. I still have a lot of practicing to do but I'm getting there. Sorry so winded, just excited because its getting closer. These guys will give you a lot of great suggestions from experience.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:57 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for info

Originally Posted by not the dogs
I'm new to bow hunting myself but if I'm not mistaken whatever the broadhead grain is , you should use the same grain fieldtips. You'll still have to change the settings when you shot broadheads probably but not to much. I know that everyone on here will tell you to practice alot and if you can, practice like you were hunting. Not really sure about the shaft tough. My pro shop set me up. I still have a lot of practicing to do but I'm getting there. Sorry so winded, just excited because its getting closer. These guys will give you a lot of great suggestions from experience.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:18 AM
Spike

The grains weight of the arrow is determined by the bow.
And what I mean by that is that the draw weight an the draw length is what decides that.

The normal is that the arrow should weigh 5 grains for every pond of draw weight. So if your drawing 60 pounds then the arrow should weigh 300 grains. Im still new as well but that is what I have found while doing research.

Hope that helps
DAVE
Old 08-14-2011, 11:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by davec921
The grains weight of the arrow is determined by the bow.
And what I mean by that is that the draw weight an the draw length is what decides that.

The normal is that the arrow should weigh 5 grains for every pond of draw weight. So if your drawing 60 pounds then the arrow should weigh 300 grains. Im still new as well but that is what I have found while doing research.

Hope that helps
DAVE
Let's clarify this just a bit. 5 gr'lb of draw weight is the recommended MINIMUM total arrow weight. Most hunting arrows will weigh at least this and most times a lot more.

As for the original question. Point weight is a completely separate issue from shaft weight. What is important is to have a properly spined shaft for your setup. For almost any hunting setup it would be impossible to have a shaft that weighs 100 grains. In any given spine there can be a great variance in shaft weights as there are different shafts with different diameter and wall thicknesses. These two measurements determine the shaft weight in grains per inch (gpi). GPI X shaft length = shaft weight. Shaft weight+ nock + fletching + insert + point = total arrow weight.

Last edited by BGfisher; 08-14-2011 at 11:51 AM.