Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
How low will you go??? >

How low will you go???

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How low will you go???

Old 08-11-2011, 01:11 PM
Fork Horn

Default How low will you go???

As ive said in some other posts on here, i typically hunt out of climbing stands, but as ive spent a few yrs on the same piece of property i have some spots that i rele want to hunt but require as little disturbance as possible while getting in... although climbing stands are great for runnin and gunnin they are not the quietest things to get into a tree with. Ive got a lockon set in place, but now i find myself out of lockons to put up haha. I do have several 15 foot ladders, is this too low for bowhunting purposes? ive never tried it before but those ladder stands sure are convinient. Opinions??
Old 08-11-2011, 04:46 PM
Typical Buck

I have killed several deer from my 15ft ladder stand, i have killed a few just sitting on the ground for that matter, i firmly believe it all comes down to wind direction and movement.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Practice more with your climber, are you making too much noise setting it up or climbing???

I've had deer come in while I was climbing...They don't know that little bit of scraping
as you go up a tree is a hunter with the latest BowFlex and a Rage trying to run them through...
Old 08-11-2011, 07:13 PM
Fork Horn

well its pretty noisy goin up but thats just because of the fact that 95 percent of the climbable trees in my area are pine trees... and i like to get tucked up close to the bedding areas,,, dont get me wrong, i have had plenty of success with my climbing stand, just gets combersome on the long hauls into the deep woods and i feel like if a ladder stand is an option i would be much bettter off takin a stand in there once a year and leaving it
Old 08-11-2011, 07:38 PM
Typical Buck

Do any of the pine trees have branches low enough to conceal you 15' up? might work if you can get in a good spot. A natural funnel or pinch point would also tip the odds in your favor. Ya' just gotta be in the right spot when the deer come through!!! Good Luck
Old 08-11-2011, 07:55 PM
Typical Buck

Killed my 1st 2 bucks hunting from the ground,...stands are not a requirement
Old 08-12-2011, 09:25 AM
Fork Horn

15 ft is plenty, if you consider movement & wind.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:47 AM
Typical Buck

i killed my first deer from the ground. last year i shot mine from 7 yards. i was up 3 feet in a crap apple tree......i love ground hunting
Old 08-12-2011, 09:49 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by nchawkeye
Practice more with your climber, are you making too much noise setting it up or climbing???

I've had deer come in while I was climbing...They don't know that little bit of scraping
as you go up a tree is a hunter with the latest BowFlex and a Rage trying to run them through...
ive had a couple buck approach me once setting up a stand i was scraping some bark off so my clothes wouldnt rub and make noise on it. i was very surprised
Old 08-12-2011, 02:16 PM
Typical Buck

Runnin' & gunnin' is a real pain with a climber! Pattern the deer. Let them tell you exactly where and when they will be. Set up accordingly. You'll figure it out. Good luck!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.