Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
how do you hunt hot weather deer? >

how do you hunt hot weather deer?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

how do you hunt hot weather deer?

Old 08-10-2011, 02:26 PM
Spike

Default how do you hunt hot weather deer?

Ive bow hunted all my life and have had great success but when it comes to hot weather deer i just cant get it right. I just got stationed in NC and its hot as can be. See im from Wi and ya we hunt in some hot weather but it gets cold really fast. I guess im just looking for tips on how to hunt deer in 80+ degrees and there is food and water everywhere they look so it would be hard to sit over one source
Old 08-10-2011, 02:36 PM
Typical Buck

in the early bow season i like to still hunt or spot and stalk. But i really hate hunting hot weather in the beginning of archery. i dont go out as much then as i do in the pre rut/rut. i usually try and hunt every evening i can then
Old 08-10-2011, 02:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

the 1st day under 80 is when i go....i have set in the hot azz sun fer hours and not seen anything, but the cam shows they come during sun down hours. irritating.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

NC born and bred here with a few years thrown in hunting Georgia and Virginia...

Guess what...It bothers you more than the deer...I do take an ice chest, call in the
deer from location and bone it out, put in cooler and head to the nearest place to ice
the deer down...

Bow season is a great time to pattern the big bucks as they will be on white oaks...A
lot of guys put out corn but white oaks will pull them away from corn...Hunt a white oak
grove close to a cutover and you'll see deer...

Also, hunt mornings before it gets hot if possible...We've been through the worse of the hot weather, the days are starting to get shorter and it will be getting cooler...
Old 08-10-2011, 04:52 PM
Fork Horn

Ive hunted in Alabama all my life and yes i have sat in the stand in 90+ degree weather on multiple occations and have seen deer! They live in it every day, they will still move, just not as far away from their bed as they may in colder weather... similiar to what was sayd before, early season when the whiteoaks are dropping i like to find a good patch of whiteoaks, preferably in a creek bottom (1. because the deer need water 2. because it usually gives you a good quiet entrance) that butts right up to a bedding area... get up on close to the bedding area when the wind is blowing out of that area. Youll catch them slipping out right before dark in the evenings and slippin in in the mornings for a snack before it gets too hot