Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Gila Wilderness 16B Archery Elk Hunt >

Gila Wilderness 16B Archery Elk Hunt

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Gila Wilderness 16B Archery Elk Hunt

Old 06-14-2011, 08:36 AM
Spike

Default Gila Wilderness 16B Archery Elk Hunt

My dad, son, and I all drew tags to hunt the "Gila Monsters" third week of September (Sept. 19-24) in unit 16B and could not be more excited. This will be my first trip to New Mexico. We will be packing in on horses into the Gila and would love to hear any feedback from hunters who have had the opportunity to hunt 16B. The hunt is months away but the excitement has already started. Any stories or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks for the help!
Old 06-14-2011, 05:27 PM
Typical Buck

I was fortunate to draw the same hunt as you did the past two years.

Are you doing a DIY or guided ?

Its a great unit and being wilderness limits access. However a few outfitter do have camps in the there but overall the pressure didn't seem all that bad. Last year the elk were spread out, so I think that helped. We were into them everyday last year and the vocalization was better than in 2009. Matter of fact, 2009 was not a normal year as far as buglin, but the area held elk.

I look forward to the day I can return and have actually considered a LO tag, but the cost of being impatient may be more than I am willing to part with.

If you have any specific questions, shoot me a PM would be more than happy to chat with you and provide some insight.

Rob
Old 05-06-2012, 06:44 AM
Spike

Default DIY 16 b rifle hunt

I just got drawen for the 16b rifle hunt and its my 1st time hunting im not in it for the trophy bull , i just want to learn the area and bring back some meat hopefully, i was wondering if anybody experienced had some tips for me ,especialy on where i should camp and which part of 16b-22 they go to after the archary hunts are over .Thanks for any advice anyone can offer me .
Old 05-10-2012, 07:22 PM
Spike

Hey Guys.... Congrats on your 16b draw, it's a great unit. I have a hunting lodge in 16a and have been packing into 16b for 20 years, any questions feel free to ask.