Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Open/closed eye

Old 08-04-2003, 12:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Open/closed eye

I was praticing shooting today at about 40 yards and i noticed when i shot that i have a habit of doing so with my right eye open and sometimes both eyes. When i am using one eye, i do somewhat better but i get tunnel vision and when i have both eyes open i sometimes look with my left eye so i dont shoot that well. Before i discovered bowhunting/shooting i hunt with guns so i have a habit of having one eye open. Should i stick to one eye shooting or both eyes open?
Old 08-04-2003, 07:28 AM

Default RE: Open/closed eye

If you can shoot with both eyes open THAT' S great! I' ve shot this way for years and found that My perephial (sp) vision is much better.
The only problem you may run into is if Your opposite eye is the Dominant one That can really mess up your shot placement
AL
Old 08-04-2003, 08:57 AM

I am left eye dominate and shoot right handed. I have to close my left eye otherwise it is all screwed up.. If I was right eye dominate I would shoot with both eyes open..
Old 08-04-2003, 07:09 PM

I am left eye dominate and shoot right handed. I have to close my left eye otherwise it is all screwed up
I am the same way unless you switch shooting hands you might have to shoot with one eye when I shoot with two eyes my shots go about 5 inches left
Old 08-04-2003, 08:55 PM

im left eye dominant but shoot right handed.. this year i have been trying to use both... i start with one eye open to shift the dominance and slowely open the left eye. ive got it down now to where i only have to blink and my right takes over..
Old 08-04-2003, 09:01 PM

Im left eye dominant and left handed-And right handed peple say leftys are screwed up? how can you guys hit anything.LOL[]
Old 08-04-2003, 09:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

Shooting coaches will want you to learn to shoot with both eyes open. For many people this comes as a real challenge either from being opposite eye dominant, learning to shoot with one eye or what. Gun coaches will opt for you to shoot with both eyes open as well.

I, in the past, shot with one eye open, through many years of shooting I pushed myself to shoot with both eyes open and my shooting as well as my capabilities vastly improved. Although very difficult in the begining, I taught myself to allow my opposite eye to float if you will, it will open and close and mostly squint to allow light to be filtered. I can still see my target with both eyes but my dominant eye has all the focus.
Old 08-04-2003, 10:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

I shoot pretty much exactly like Rob does........I barely squint down on my left eye, just enough to sort of disrupt its ability to compete for dominance.
I hate the tunnel vision feeling of one eye completely closed and have also found that my balance isn' t as good with one eye shut.
Picture yourself trying to stand still 20ft up a tree on a 20" platform with one eye shut........heck try it in your living room and see what happens. Now add in the act of shooting a bow.
Your body relies on your eyes for peripheral vision to aid in balance. Take away one eye completely and I feel you handicap your ability to hold on target as steadily as possible.
Old 08-05-2003, 08:10 AM

Matt/PA wished you hadn' t posted that. Now I' m worried I' ll fall off my tree lounge bow hunter adapter.
Old 08-05-2003, 02:49 PM

If you use a peep sight, shooting with both eyes open is a huge advantage in low-light situations. There is a 5 or 10 minute window when you can see a deer with both eyes open, but with one eye open you can' t see it at all (through a peep). I' ve seen and shot several deer in this small window, and it makes it well worth learning to keep both eyes open.

Quick Reply: Open/closed eye

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.