Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

snake encouners

Old 08-03-2003, 10:35 PM
Spike

Default snake encouners

I went scouting today looking for a back up spot to hunt. I parkd the 4 wheeler and started walking up a deer trail. The trail went up the mountian and then went across a power line. I got in the middle of the power line I thought this would be a good place for a snake I would take a step and look for 30 seconds. I stoped looked real good and stared to step then I seen it and heard it at the same time! A 42 inch timber rattler coiled up about 6 inches from my foot. I jumped about five foot in the air. I tryed to kill it with rocks but it crawled off. It was the first rattle snake I have seen in the woods. I think I will take a few weeks off from scouting. has anyone else had a close call? I had snake chaps on but it still almost gave me a heart attack.
Old 08-03-2003, 10:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: snake encouners

If you' re in the woods you' re in snake woods too. Leave em alone and they will leave you alone 99.9% of the time. That doesn' t mean you couldn' t catch one napping and accidently step on it but this is very very unlikley. Remember that snakes help keep the rodent population down and we do actually need them around so don' t kill them unless you absolutly have to. Just look where you step.

Many people have called me crazy because I actually like snakes and have been known to stop my truck on the side of the road to move a rattler out of the road before it gets killed. I have found that they really are more afrade of you then you are of them. The exception being the occasional water moccasin that has a chip on it' s shoulder.
Old 08-04-2003, 12:16 AM

I have hundreds of snakes over hear in da greatest land of all Australia[]. The majority of them are non venemous though but they still give me a fright that gets my heart pumpen []. I have had them close to my feet and I even near trod on one. It' s amazing how much further you can stritch your step to avoid steping on a snake when you only see it seconds before you step on the damn thing[].

My mate Luke and I were walking the creek bank doing a spot of fishing two years ago. We usually wear sandels but we couldn' t be bothered looking for were the dog had them last[:@] so Luke just chucked a pair of shoes on. To get to the point a watertiger snake (venomous) bit him on his shoe when we were fishing. If he had of worn his sandels he would of been in a mighty spot of trouble[X(].

So please be careful of were your feet go when walking in the bush. Apart from something breaking on your bow[][:@][:' (], the best thing to ruin a good days hunt is a snake bit[X(].

Catch ya round
Stalkin' Steve
Old 08-04-2003, 12:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

glad you didnt get bite. I had an incident with a rattler once several years ago when i was dove hunting. The area where i was at was mainly just small brush piles and dried grass. I went hunting by myself but there was several other hunters further down from where i was. I shot a dove and it went into the high grass. I usually take my gun with me when i am getting a downed bird and the other hunters were at a safe distance so i can shoot in their direction without a danger of hitting them or vise versa. As i was approaching the dove i heard the tale tail (literally) of a rattler near be. I stopped in my tracks and this rattler which was close to 6 feet, maybe longer about 3 feet to my left. my gun was pointing in that direction so i shot the snake and back up and shot it two more times. I am not sure if it was still alive or it was nerves but the snake was still moving. I always have my 7' ' hunting knife with my that my dad bought me along time ago. I stepped on the back of its head and cut it off with my knife. The other hunters had no idea what i was doing until I picked up the snake. I didnt end up cooking it but gave it to another guy. Looking back at it i think i was pretty much lucky that i didnt get bite.