Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Climbers vs. Non-climbers >

Climbers vs. Non-climbers

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Climbers vs. Non-climbers

Old 08-03-2003, 10:25 PM

Default Climbers vs. Non-climbers

This is my first post so I' d like to say howdy. I am approximately 6' 3 and 230lbs. I have an old Warren and Sweat climbing tree stand and have hated it since I bought it [:@]. It was supposed to be the magnum and hold 300lbs but I never trusted it. I' ve only used it couple times with very little success.
I was thinking of buying a Summit Viper XLS or the Goliaith model. They are supposed to hold 300 or 350 respectively[]. I tried my friends and it is much easier to use the Warren and Death model. Is there any others or possibly fixed stand models with steps I should consider?
Old 08-03-2003, 10:33 PM

Default RE: Climbers vs. Non-climbers

i like my summit viper xls.love it, if i was you i would buy a summit viper.but it is you that decides what you you won' t.
Old 08-03-2003, 10:41 PM

Hello marmax,
If you only weigh 230 any good model stand will work for you. I' m 225 and use a shooting star made by api. Never had a problem out of it. Comfortable, easy to set up, rock solid, foot rest and gun rest. They cost around 200.00 for the newer model. There are many good stands out there and most will hold up to 250 or 275 with no problem. Read your cabelas or bass pro and do your comparisons before buying. Happy Hunting
Old 08-03-2003, 10:46 PM
Spike

I am 6' 3' ' 280 I have a ol man climber that is real good for gun hunting but is hard to shoot out of with a bow. I missed 2 bow shots out of it and stoped bow hunting out of it. I got a rivers edge hang on and love it for bow hunting. I can shot any direction with no problem. Steps can be a little hard to put.
Old 08-04-2003, 03:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don' t know a stand that is easier to use than the Summit goliath or viper. I have wasted a lot of money on various stands over the years and for me Summit gets my vote. I think maybe you have used the warren and " death" for so long that anything new seems a bit odd. Honestly the Summit climbers can be ready to climb in short order and I can be up in the tree and hunting in no time. As with anything it just takes a few times to practice using the stand and then you will find out what a great stand it really is.
Old 08-04-2003, 04:16 AM

I have three different brands of climbers,the summitt is a good stand.I also have Warren and sweat stands and have no problem with them.
I thank it just depends on what you want in a stand.go to a sports shop where they have several to pick from,some will let you try them on the spot.
The first climber I ever used and got 25 years ago was a warren and Sweat bowhunter,then three rifelman' s.all are still in use.[:-]

As for the Warren and sweat you have,just ship it on to me CO.D. for the shipping,I will take it off your hands anytime you want to get rid of it.[:-]
Old 08-04-2003, 07:33 AM

i wish i had bought a summit , i had the original summit when it came out ,and i wish i still had it now the only problem with it was it was heavy now i have an ol man . it slipped on me while climbing a tree , as it turns out i probably shouldn' t have tried to climb that particular kind of tree. but if i could buy a new stand tomorrow i would definately get a summit!

Old 08-04-2003, 08:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Old Man just came came out with a titanium climbing stand . At 16 lbs it will carry nice , and lotts of guys like them . Im sure it will make your wallet much lighter allso .
Old 08-04-2003, 08:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

I am the exact same height and weight as you and have nothing but good things to say about the Summit Revolution that I picked up this past year. I felt it offered plenty of room on a very stable platform. I would definitely recommend it.
Old 08-04-2003, 08:37 AM

I too weigh about the same as you and I bought a summit goliath last year. Very good stand and easy to climb with. I could have gotten the viper but I wanted the extra security of the higher weight limit. Either way you cant go wrong. I also looked at Ol' man stands. They have some good stands.

Quick Reply: Climbers vs. Non-climbers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.