Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Kuiu Gear just arrived ! My first impression/review >

Kuiu Gear just arrived ! My first impression/review

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Kuiu Gear just arrived ! My first impression/review

Old 04-22-2011, 04:32 PM
Typical Buck

Default Kuiu Gear just arrived ! My first impression/review

As some of you know, I have utilized the Sitka Gear since Sitka first became available to the public. I was and still am a big supporter of their gear and have always strived to find a quality, function garment for hunting. Once Sitka Gear became available, I believed I had found was I so long searched for. In this quest, I know now that I was not alone. Until this year, Sitka Gear was the only player (in my opinion) in this space. Kuiu was founded by one of the original founders of Sitka Gear, If you followed the Kuiu Blog, much of this isn't news to you. For those who are not familiar with the Kuiu Blog I suggest taking a look. For those looking for quality garments now you have some options....so below is my first impression....

I have to say that the Fed Ex man just dropped off my Kuiu Gear that I ordered for myself and a friend. Now the camo pattern is not APG or Mossy Oak, however it reminds me of the old woodland camo. However Kuiu references the camo as the Vias Pattern. I am sure not everyone will love the pattern, but for me its more about function than looks. So anyway off to the review, below is what I ordered up for myself

Outerlayers - Guide Jacket, Guide Vest & Attach Pant...
Baselayers - Merino 250 Zip T, Merino 185 Neck Gaitor and Guide Beanie...course I ordered two ball caps all in the Vias Camo

My friend ordered the raingear which is their Chugach Jacket and Pant !

Now I haven't worn this gear out in the field, only just in the house. So this is just my first impression. My first notice compared to my Sitka Gear was the fit.

The fit of the Guide Jacket seemed better around the waist and in the arms than some of my other pieces. The Guide Jacket offers the ability to remove the hood which is a nice feature. The Guide Jacket and Vest both had no bulk in the chest area, great for us how hunters. The weight of this combination is less than my Sitka and again when it comes to packing, seems to be more pack friendly even given the fact the clothes are not broke in.

The Merino 250 Zip T is thinner and lighter in weight, yet isn't to tight. The wear seems similar to my Traverse Zip T from Sitka, however the Kuiu Merino 250 Zip T will take up less pack room which is a plus again. Only time will tell the warmth factor compared to the two. I am sure the combination of the two may be a plus on those colder than normal days.

The Attack Pant had a very custom like fit in the legs, yet gave me ample waist line room. I still have plently of room for a base layer and the ability to maintain room in my waist. Normally when I have pants that fit my legs like this, the waist line becomes a challenge...here I have to give a plus to the Kuiu than my fit of my 90% pants.

The Kuiu quality was easily noticed as the quality of ease in the zippers to the stitching in all of the garment appear to not have been sacrificied in any way. Only time will tell in the field how the Kuiu will hold up. Initially it provides me more room in my pack and appears to be of lighter weight, which will be a plus for those that do the DIY wilderness hunts. The fit will vary from person to person I imagine, but for me it was like I had it personally tailored. So for me, I am very satisifed with taking the time to order up some for my upcoming hunting season.

Thanks for your time and hopefully you found this beneficial

Rob
Old 04-22-2011, 04:36 PM
Typical Buck

Here are some images of the Vias Camoflauge
Attached Thumbnails Kuiu Gear just arrived ! My first impression/review-vias-camo-1.jpg   Kuiu Gear just arrived ! My first impression/review-vias-camo-2.jpg  
Old 04-22-2011, 04:38 PM
Typical Buck

Two more attachments....
Attached Thumbnails Kuiu Gear just arrived ! My first impression/review-vias-camo-3.jpg   Kuiu Gear just arrived ! My first impression/review-vias-camo-4.jpg  
Old 04-22-2011, 07:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice, thanks for sharing.. I like the looks of there gear but i just dont know if the camo pattern would blend with my area. I am with you i could care less what i look like as long as its functional. But i dont live out west were there are alot of Tumleweeds and such. Do they offer any other patterns?
Old 04-23-2011, 11:20 AM
Typical Buck

Currently the Vias Camo is all they offer. I live in Northwest PA and I am going to try it this upcoming Spring Turkey to see how it works.

Originally Posted by BOWHUNTER818
Nice, thanks for sharing.. I like the looks of there gear but i just dont know if the camo pattern would blend with my area. I am with you i could care less what i look like as long as its functional. But i dont live out west were there are alot of Tumleweeds and such. Do they offer any other patterns?