Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Unbreakable shafts and " bone-busting"  broadheads >

Unbreakable shafts and " bone-busting" broadheads

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Unbreakable shafts and " bone-busting" broadheads

Old 08-01-2003, 12:49 PM

Default Unbreakable shafts and " bone-busting" broadheads

There many products and techniques that have entered the BOWHUNTING arena that, in my opinion, have no " rhyme or reason" for shooting a deer at a distance that averages a little over 20-yards, and in many cases, less than 20-yards.

However, it is many of the claims and unrealistic expectations of the performance of some gear that causes me to shake my head so often I do believe I am beginning to erode the vertebrae in my neck.

Two of the most common claims and expectations that stand out, are shafts that can be shot into bricks, concrete, trees, etc, without any damage -which is an additional big " Har-Har" to me, and broadheads that are " bone-busters."

I ask: how often have you have had shafts of any composition break in midair or when penetrating a deer in the common kill-zone? I have shot aluminum arrows for years and have never had one break or bend until it has done its job on a deer. Once I make a shot on a deer, I never use the shaft or the broadhead again, regardless that either appears to be intact.

What is all the " ballyhoo" about " bone-busting" broadheads? I do not know about you, but I try not to shoot large bone. I aim for the kill-zone, the spot on the deer that many broadheads of various types have been slipping through the rib cage or busting a rib, for years.

I do not care what the claim may be, or what a head does on steel drums, plywood, tires, etc; you hit large dense bone and 1) you just made a bad shot, and 2) the shaft will probably not penetrate the entire bone.

If all the claims of being a " bone-buster," with shady insinuations that the broadhead can and will penetrate any bone were true, and all the testing on wood, steel, and rubber, erroneously support the " bone-busting" claim to some degree, then new kill-zones on deer are also available.

Hence, according to the claims; when using a " high-speed" bow that is loaded with a carbon shaft that is mounted with a " bone-busting" broadhead, you need not be as concerned that deer' s shoulder/leg is obstructing the kill-zone, and there should never be another complaint when a shooter shoots a deer in (through) the chest. And, once you recover your shaft: just wipe it clean, sharpen the blades on the head, and put it all back into your quiver, to be used to shoot a deer again.

Give me a break!

Old 08-01-2003, 01:26 PM
nub

Default RE: Unbreakable shafts and " bone-busting" broadheads

Thats what I like about you. Always stirring the turds.[] Although I have seen some early Behmans blow just out of the risor. [:' (]
Old 08-01-2003, 01:58 PM

Never prepare for the perfect shot, always remember Murphy`s law. Although most deer are shot through the ribs and thats easy on arrows sometimes even if your the greatest bow shot known to man things go wrong. The difference is that a bowhunter that has tough equipement may still get away with it but a light arrow and poor broadhead will not.
Old 08-01-2003, 02:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

C903: I think that the reason for the test is to let you know that if head or that head either will or will not bust a bone you the need would arise. Unlike like yourself every now and then some of us come in contact with the shoulder bone of a deer or whatever it is that we are hunting. I, for one, think that the information provided in these tests is very helpful.
Old 08-01-2003, 02:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I do agree that many of the claims are outrageous--but still want the toughest i can find
Old 08-01-2003, 02:28 PM

c903,

[/quote]
" Never prepare for the perfect shot, always remember Murphy`s law. Although most deer are shot through the ribs and thats easy on arrows sometimes even if your the greatest bow shot known to man things go wrong" .

If things do go wrong isn' t best to have the highest possible chance to bring the animal down? Maybe you would rather just wound it for the coyotes?

Give ME a break!
Old 08-01-2003, 03:08 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 08-01-2003, 03:18 PM

A bad shot is bad shot. You hit the shoulder or leg bone at initial impact, I do not care what gear you are using, you are in a heap of trouble.

The head might break or fracture the heavy bone, but it will be a cold day in hell for anyone to convince me that a head that is claimed to be a " bone-buster," or one that held together with ONE shot into steel , wood, or reinforced rubber, provides " backup," and if you do hit the shoulder or upper leg; no sweat, the head will just blow through the bone and take out the vitals.

As for what heads can do or might do; in 1973, using a 48# American " Cheetah" recurve, I imbedded a 6-blade Wasp in the spine of a buck. On the other hand, I have hit large dense bone when using higher energy compounds with Muzzy and other quality broadheads, and the head either broke or fractured the bone, but never penetrated through and through.

Although confidence is often nothing more than psychological, confidence is good. However, facts are real. If you truly believe that your broadhead has the capacity to penetrate or blow away dense bone, you will incorporate that erroneous belief into the shot you might take…..that you should not take.

All of the " razzle-dazzle" and " zoomy" stuff that has invaded BOWHUNTING, blows my mind. The claims behind much of the gear is nothing more that marketing hype that leads the novice astray.

Although you might not break bone; give me a break!

Old 08-01-2003, 04:19 PM

Yea Yea c.

breaking bones is for bullets.

I do like the tests that 5-Shot does the same way I like the tests that Car and Driver do on the Hot new cars. The same way Consumer Reports tells me how long it took a product to fail. The same way wine testers compare wine. and the same way someone would test a critical product for the medical industry.

With BHs it doesn' t matter what he shoots them into as long as it' s consistant and the results show a difference between the test samples. Maybe you feel that a test is worthless unless it replicates the exact situation. That attitude would be very unfounded and wrong. I certainlly don' t want some new medication or procedure tested on me with out some other " non-paitent" testing done first. The same would be true about air bags in cars, Did GM just put a dude behind the wheel and ram the car into a barier to see if it would work?

How about this. You think up a better system to test BHs and post it. Maybe 5-Shot will take you up on it.

Old 08-01-2003, 04:31 PM

Kudos to " 5 shot" for his efforts. However, ONE shot into steel drums, plywood, and reinforced rubber proves nothing beyond how that particular head happened to perform at that moment… ONE time.

As for a better system to test broadheads. There is a better system and bowhunters using various broadheads are posting the " real-life" results, from Fall into late Winter.

Quick Reply: Unbreakable shafts and " bone-busting" broadheads

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.