Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Bowhunting Practice >

Bowhunting Practice

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bowhunting Practice

Old 04-09-2011, 07:52 AM
Typical Buck

Default Bowhunting Practice

As a bowhunter only I don't practice through out the year. I start shooting a month before season opens, twice a week for the first two weeks of the month the last two weeks once a week. I,m a firm believer that once you have your bow tuned in
and shooting well you do not have to shoot it all the time to be a decent bowhunter shot. Some people shoot all year around and they need that to have self confiedence in there self and thats fine. I myself don't. The bow I shoot now had the strings replaced last year and the tech told me they didn't need to be
replaced and the was six years old, I did have the string and cable changed out however the tech gave me the old strings
back and told me to keep them just in case I needed to change string in a hurry these [old strings] were still good.Do you shoot your hunting bow alot during the off season or do you bring it out a little before your season just to make sure nothing has slipped or needs replacing?
Old 04-09-2011, 10:05 AM
Fork Horn

I like to shoot mine a couple of times a week. I find it relaxing and fun. I do not shoot in a league. I have an archery range in my back yard. Somtimes watching the outdoor channel I get the itch to shoot and just grab my bow and go

CVG Ohio

Last edited by CVG Ohio; 04-09-2011 at 10:08 AM.
Old 04-09-2011, 08:29 PM
Fork Horn

I believe for many, myself included, it's not a NEED to practice for confidence, they do it because it is fun. I love to shoot my bow, the day it becomes a chore that I delegate to certain times of the year is the day I sell my equipment and find something else to do.
Old 04-09-2011, 08:52 PM
Fork Horn

I put at least 200 arrows through my bow every week during the warmer months & about 100 arrows through my bow in the winter. I do feel a "need" to shoot as often as possible weather it feels like a "chore" or not; every shot you make gives you an opportunity to perfect your accuracy/consistency. If the practicing gets tiresome just remember, when that huge bull/buck steps out & you place a perfect shot on the animal you will be happy with every minute you put into the preparation.

-South
Old 04-11-2011, 04:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot year round because I enjoy it. There's also the muscle conditioning that's needed to shoot and hold steady, the "bow muscles" just don't get used much in a day to day life, at least my experience.

On your strings, they did need replacing, it's the parts you can't see that normally break, you can't wax under the serving and that's where most breaks happen, they dry out and break, you can't see it unless you un-wrap the serving.

With the new cables/string, I'd suggest you get at least 100 shots into them as soon as possible. It takes about 100 shots for the string/cable to settle into the bow, even with high quality/pre-stretched strings. the issue is when you put them on the bow, they are not under tension. It takes shooting to get them adjusted to the bow.
Old 04-13-2011, 01:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with Bob H. The muscle groups involved with shooting a compound bow can become weak from lack of use. Furthermore, shooting isn't as much about your bow being "on" as it is about your confidence. I have a couple buddies who only shoot for a short period of time just prior to bow season. There have been a few occasions where a trophy buck offered a shot (on the ground at 15 yards in one case) and the shooters completely blew it. One was taken, but the shot was bad and it was kind of a fluke that the big buck was found days later. Rack was saved, but the meat was wasted.

I take a break during the winter, but resume shooting in March.
Old 04-13-2011, 04:32 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by CVG Ohio
I like to shoot mine a couple of times a week. I find it relaxing and fun. I do not shoot in a league. I have an archery range in my back yard. Somtimes watching the outdoor channel I get the itch to shoot and just grab my bow and go

CVG Ohio
seconded, once the snow was mostly melted the target was out and i was shooting!
Old 04-14-2011, 09:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot on and off through the year. I try to make it to the outdoor range or set up targets in the mountains. That way I can practice out to the distance I would take a shot hunting. A few months before season starts, I try to shoot almost everyday.

I don't feel I need the practice, I like the practice and enjoy shooting my bow. It's also a heck of a lot cheaper to practice with your bow than going to the gun range.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:59 AM
Spike

i defiantly don't shoot because i need to. i shoot as much as i can just because i really enjoy it, maybes it's because i am new to the sport or maybe not
Old 04-18-2011, 01:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by CVG Ohio

CVG Ohio
Sounds alot like myself.especially after watching the Outdoor Channel like you said.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.