Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Shed Hunting Makes Me Mad >

Shed Hunting Makes Me Mad

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shed Hunting Makes Me Mad

Old 02-23-2011, 08:01 AM
Spike

I hate deer sheds..Wish the deer never lost there antlers. I usually find 2-3 a year with the tractor,Sometimes you get lucky to see them before you hit them.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:04 AM
Spike

Doubtful the shed you found was from two years ago. Tree rats usually get to them before you even have a chance to find them. The shed you found (although I could be wrong) was prob one of the first dropped this year and those pesky squirrels already did there damage.
Old 02-27-2011, 05:09 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by JNM86WVU
But the main point, you can't get discouraged while shed hunting.. Just enjoy being out in the woods, take that chance to scout out the woods for next season, and if you're lucky you'll find some sheds. Good Luck on future shed hunting trips..
Exactly! That is the take home message!
Old 02-27-2011, 05:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

You could be out too early...some of the Bucks in my area still have their Racks...others up in Northern Missouri have been finding sheds for several weeks now...some times You get lucky and just happen to be in the right place at the right time?Do You monitor your trail camera's...I keep an eye on mine and when the Bucks come in missing a side or both its time to get out and do some serious Shed Hunting.

Some times the Bucks bed down on another property and You limited to where You can look,other times the Bucks loose their antlers out in an open feild,along a creek bed or in a deep holler or very thick cover..its a hit & miss game for sure!I found 2 small Sheds in the last 2 years and was thrilled to death just to find them...this is on 100 Acres and with several different Bucks caught on my trail camera's!I found another Shed this past Jan while scouting a new property and it was well weathered and chewed one from last year,since it was covered in a lot of dead leaves the mice and rodents hadn't completely destroyed/ruined it.

as stated...Deer density and the amount of Private Land makes a big difference in finding some nice Sheds...we've been Coyote Hunting a lot of Public Land and I haven't found any Sheds while out walking a lot of Land...some times even a Blind Squirrel finds a nut every now and then?
Old 02-28-2011, 05:01 AM
Fork Horn

The shed I found was at least from last year it is old and nasty looking. I might have made it sound like i was going to quit I guess but I would never do such a thing I know I am not going to find much but I go looking multiple times anyways just for the chance to find one. As far as the trail cams go I quit using them when it got really cold out and haven't got them back up since then. We also have a lot of deer and different bucks so I just expect to find more than I do. I will try to get a pic up of the one I found. My brother fouond two that same day so it wasn't all that bad.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:03 AM
Typical Buck

It deffinatly pays to be on private property and know where to look. I shed hunt my farm here in west central WI and another private farm in NE Iowa, about 1200 acres between the 2 of them and usally find about 30-35 sheds a year. Up here our bucks lost there head gear around the first part of Jan. which is a little sooner than normal but we had a lot of snow too. Keep trying and good luck.......
Old 02-28-2011, 02:35 PM
Fork Horn

If your serious about this you might want to get a dog and send him to shed hunting school for a month and go shed hunting then. Guranteed you will see 4 times as many sheds than you do by yourself.