Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Pigs

Old 07-26-2003, 10:40 PM

Default Pigs

Do you guys in the States have many feral pigs to hunt.
Here in the beautiful Australia I got hundreds of ' em runnin round. In Australia (especially in mountainous country) they can be quite hard to knock over with the bow and I was just wonderin if they are the same over there.
It seems that all American hunters hunt deer coz rarely do you hear of anyone shooting pigs. Is that because there are laws regarding shooting pigs or does mostly everyone prefere to hunt deer.

Catch ya round the ridges.
Stalkin' Steve
Old 07-26-2003, 10:49 PM

Default RE: Pigs

Deer is the most commonly hunted animal in the states. In most states, to even hunt a pig you have to go to a reserve. They are mainly bore though.
Old 07-26-2003, 11:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Steve.
I hunt the pigs over here every chance I can get it sort of reminds me of home.
Here in Texas we can hunt them 24 7 if we want too and there are a lot of them running around not only on farms but also on public land.
Most land owners that I have come across will let you hunt the pigs free of charge just to get rid of them

For some reason these Americans are hung up on hunting deer which is ok by me
Old 07-27-2003, 12:10 PM

I think most places in the US don' t yet have pigs. The population expands outwards from the Gulf of mexico area where they first were introduced. But they have gotten pretty far as I think they are now in Ohio. Also California has wild pigs. Lots of domestic and European boars mostly and some places have russian boars. But I ain' t no expert so I could be wrong. Deer hunting is definately more popular over there.

I live in Hawaii and down here, everything is second to pigs. Axis deer, 3 types of sheep, blacktail deer are all not as popular as pig hunting (allthough that' s probably because they aren' t found on all the islands.) The hardy feral goat is probably the second most sought after game mammal for the same reason as the pig; they are plentiful and you can find areas to hunt year round.

Most people use dog and knife. Not like the mainland us with their catch dogs and bay or strike dogs. For a dog to hunt pigs in hawaii (which sounds similar to New Zealand) the dogs must find and catch the pig before it can run away. It' s not very open in most places so a dog needs to stop a pig by grabbing it. We call the dogs Grabbers or Grab dogs. Everyone uses mutts with pit bull or bull terrier in them as well as hound or bird dog for their nose and furry dog for the protective coat.

From what I' ve heard, most the pigs in the US are not very mean and it is common for them to grow huge. 300+ pounders are not uncommen. They aren' t hard to put down either. Not many people have been charged

I think Australia has the most and meanest pigs of anywhere.

The pigs here are smaller on average than mainland us pigs cause of the Polynesian pig blood in them. But they are mean and if a mature boar sees you and normally it' s thick so any encounter is close up, and you probably have a 1 in 5 or better chance of getting charged. I never had any problems with putting them down though. it' s common for boars to have 1 inch thick pads but I' ve never seen a 2 inch thick pad. They aren' t as plentiful as Yours either and they are harder to catch cause it' s thick and they run and don' t stop, the smart ones, and they are fast. In the open, they outrun dogs. I' ve seen pigs run 30 MPH plowing thick cover and my friends say they seen them running much faster. Most pigs won' t stop and fight because they know what dogs are. But if you go into the interior of the islands where nobaby ever hunts, you can still sometimes find pigs that fight.

Well that' s kinda what it' s like over here. Never had much trouble putting them down with bow with double lung shots and heart shots. They usually go 30 yards. Liver shots I have seen them survive a couple times.

Old 07-27-2003, 08:43 PM
Typical Buck

I' ve never hunted feral pigs, but I have a
great time hunting javilina every winter[8D].

We have a lot of hogs here in Iowa...just
not the kind you can hunt.
Old 07-27-2003, 09:52 PM

Well I dont no about the other states but here in georgia we have pigs all over and there mean as h@ll some are mix with russian boar that got loose for hunting plantations that imported them from russia. And they are very hard to take down. Every county has wild or feral pigs in it. Right now we can hunt them almost all year, if the keep on multiplying like they are season will be all year long soon.