Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 how high is too low for a tree stand? >

how high is too low for a tree stand?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

how high is too low for a tree stand?

Old 07-25-2003, 05:32 PM
Fork Horn

Default how high is too low for a tree stand?

hey how high is too low for a tree stand... i usually only go up about 15 ft.- 20 ft. at the most... is this high enough out of the deers line of vision?
Old 07-25-2003, 05:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: how high is too low for a tree stand?

If the tree is in the open then you ned to go higher. If it has other trees around it then you are high enough.
Old 07-25-2003, 05:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe I should get a little more indepth here.... If it is an old growth pine tree farm and the trees are approx. 15 feet or farther apart, then go higher. If the pines are 15 years old then 15 - 20 is high enough. If it is oak trees that are 30 feet apart, then go as high as you can.

The bottom line is, you must have some form of cover to block some of the view. If you don' t have cover to " hide" behind then you must have height. In other words if your tree is on the edge of a field, you need to be higher, if you' re in the middle of the woods and the pines are in a tree farm and you can' t see more than 60 feet or so then you are high enough.
Old 07-26-2003, 05:29 AM

I let the terrain dictate how high I place a tree stand. I personally dont like to go higher than 20' because of the shot angle.

I do have a hunting buddy that hunts only from ground blinds only, he says it is high enough for him.
Old 07-26-2003, 02:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

I usually hunt at 18 feet to my seat although one stand is about 12 feet to the base in thick stuff and have had deer actually run by the tree and and either rub up against it or miss it by 1-2 inches it was that close, as Buckbuster states its all about the terrain and density of your `woods.
Old 07-26-2003, 04:13 PM

I think that 15 feet is high enough...
Old 07-26-2003, 04:24 PM
Typical Buck

Like Buckbuster mentioned, the terrain should
dictate how high to hang each treestand. I
rarely hunt stands below 14-15' or above 20-21' ,
though I' ve taken nice bucks below and above
these heights. Shot angle really becomes a factor
when hunting from extreme heights-25' +.

Good luck
TB
Old 07-26-2003, 05:05 PM

The shooters that have said; let the terrain dictate, is absolutley correct. There is no such thing as one size fits all when selecting stand height.

I have killed deer in stands that are 24" to 36" off the ground to 20 feet in the air. Even 20 feet can be too high if the shots that will be afforded will be close in. Too much angle reduces size of kill zones.

The buck I shot last season was from a stand that was 24" off the ground. Height was dictated by cover, natural fields of fire, and prevailing winds vs. direction of usual deer movement at a particular hour of day at a particular time in the season.
Old 07-27-2003, 12:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

I usually hunt when in a tree (which is rarely now, as prefer the ground) around 15-18 feet. If you plan to hunt in the open than you' ll need to go higher, if in cover 15 feet should be plenty.
Old 07-27-2003, 09:54 AM
Typical Buck

i usually hunt 15-20 feet. i have a 20 foot rope that when it pulls my bow taught, i quit climbing. however depending on trees, i cannot go that high

Quick Reply: how high is too low for a tree stand?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.