Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

[Deleted]

Old 07-25-2003, 09:37 PM

Default RE: crossbow hunting question

An X-bow is not going to make you a better stalker........Heck if you can stalk close enough to shoot one with an X-bow you can do it with a Bow..
Old 07-28-2003, 08:51 AM
Dominant Buck

Read the post Hawgz ,
the man said he was a bow hunter and just wanted a different tool for a given purpose .

bucksbuddy ,
crossbows may not be what you' re looking for , you' re not actually supposed to leave them cocked all the time because it can damage the prod . You can leave them cocked for short periods , which will allow you to stalk with it , but you' ll have to let it off occasionally . I' ll be using mine from a ground blind , so my movement will be hidden , but it won' t be " cocked and locked" until I' m certain that a deer is coming or already there .

For all you archers , picture drawing a 150 bow with no letoff , you' ll need a both hands and a foot in the stirrup to do it . Then load your arrow onto a metal rail through a small opening with the broadhead clanking on the rail and front sight mount . Then when you fire it you' ll hear how much louder it is than a bow since you can' t use much of the silencing and vibration toys available to bow shooters . Be prepared to give up about 10-30% of the KE you' re used to , and arrow and accessory choices too . And let' s not forget tuning if it' s a compound type , they have as much tuning to deal with as compound bows which is why many of the ones out there are straight or recurve .

It sounds to me like this fella loves a challenge ! [8D]
Old 07-28-2003, 05:47 PM

I know alot of crossbow users and none of them cock their crossbows when an animal is close by. They all get to their stand and cock them there or some even cock them at home. Here a crossbow is not loaded until there`s a bolt on the string. And I`ll take cocking a crossbow with a string puller over finger drawing a 70 lb. bow any day.
Old 07-28-2003, 10:29 PM

I' m with BuckAlley, stick with your bow!
Old 07-29-2003, 11:47 AM
Dominant Buck

Turk_Man ,
I' m guessing that your buddies who have xbows haven' t thoroughly read their owner' s manual . Mine plainly says " DO NOT LEAVE IN COCKED POSITION FOR EXTENDED PERIODS , PROD MAY BECOME DAMAGED BY EXCESSIVE TENSION , OR BREAK RESULTING IN DEATH OR SERIOUS INJURY TO THE SHOOTER" . Granted , we have some very lawsuit wary manufacturers down here . We actually have warning labels on drink cans But I have to think that they know their products better than we do , and I like to err to the conservative when it comes to weapons reccomendations .
Old 07-29-2003, 07:35 PM

Anybody have any idea what they mean by " Do not leave in cocked position for extended periods" ? 15 min., an hour, a day? I have an old Barnett recurve type, and I always wondered.
John
Old 07-29-2003, 09:33 PM

im the one turk man is talking about i leave the bow cocked for hours from daylight till lunch time .... never lost 1 foot of speed .... took this questions one the excalibur site and there are guys on there that leave em cocked from daylight till lunch and then again after lunch till dark so i dont know what the right ansewer is
Old 07-30-2003, 04:23 AM
Dominant Buck

Fellas ,
all I know is what the manual for mine says . I can' t answer Lowly Darton' s question because I' m not familiar with his equipment , or the manufacturer' s reccomendations for it . That recurve sounds pretty tasty though , I' ll bet it' s fast . Mine is a Ranger with a straight fiberglass prod , which may explain why it says not to cock it for long periods . Fiberglass has a definite fatigue point .

bgunner ,
leave it cocked if it' s not hurting anything , but I' d check my manual to make sure . Personally I' d rather not have an angry xbow in my hands if it can be avoided . Do either or you have glass prods ?
Old 07-30-2003, 08:00 AM

Just pulled this from the Barnett website: http://www.barnettcrossbows.com/
" Q: How long can I keep my bow cocked?
A: It is safe to keep your bow cocked while you are hunting in a stationary position. FOR PERSONAL SAFETY REASONS, DO NOT STALK OR WALK TO AND FROM YOUR STAND WITH YOUR BOW COCKED. We do recommend that if you break from your hunt that you let the bow down to the un-cocked position by shooting a target arrow into a safe backstop. It would be a good practice to let the bow down every 4 hours or so."

They don' t specify compound or recurve? Don' t know if it matters?

Either way, the above is meant for Barnett Xbows only.
One things for sure, I' m never going to be stalking with an uncocked Xbow. I stalk with a loaded gun & both have safeties.
Alot of guys don' t like Xbows during archery season, guess I wouldn' t either.
Pa. allows ' em during later seasons. Fine with me & they sure are alot of fun.
Good Luck
John
Old 07-30-2003, 08:41 AM
Dominant Buck

Thanks John ,
it more or less verified what I posted . That target arrow reccomendation sounds good too , it will really save my fingers , but I don' t think I' ll try it out in the field due to the noise it would make . Barnett' s reccomendations would apply to both types in their case , other manufacturers may have other thoughts on the subject . I believe I' ll leave mine uncocked until needed since I hunt from a ground blind . Thanks for the link .

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.