Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Bucks shedding already!? >

Bucks shedding already!?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bucks shedding already!?

Old 01-02-2011, 03:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Bucks shedding already!?

The athletic director at our school was teaching our gym class one day and he was telling me that him and his son were driving around and they saw a buck in the field next to some guys house so they stopped and glassed it for a few seconds and then the guy took off on the fourwheeler in the oppposite direction to go check cattle and it startled the buck and my teacher said one of the bucks antlers just popped right off. Could the buck be sick or do you think the force of the buck taking off yanked the antler off?
Old 01-02-2011, 03:29 PM
Typical Buck

I've been hearing about antlers falling off in northern wisconsin and the up of michigan already, havent heard anything about down here in south wisco, but i wouldnt' doubt if its happening to some
Old 01-02-2011, 03:46 PM
Spike

Two weeks ago one of the monsters I have been watching this season had already dropped one side. This is in SE North Dakota
Old 01-02-2011, 03:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

The more breeding a buck does the faster his testosterone will fall, and therefore he'll lose his antlers quicker.

I ran an archery check station for a number of years here in IL and part of that job was checking in kills from a late anterless pistol season. Unfortunately I checked in more than one big buck minus his antlers. It was a Shame!

Dan
Old 01-02-2011, 09:37 PM
Fork Horn

In central IL, heard a guy I know found a matching set of sheds that scored in the 170's already.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:31 PM
Typical Buck

I have been getting pic's of antlerless bucks the last 3-4 days and found one side of a small 8 point in the food plot New Years day. Seems a little early but we have had a lot of snow and cold weather the last month and that plays into it. This is in west central WI......
Old 01-03-2011, 05:14 PM
Fork Horn

here in southern Manitoba the bucks have been dropping since before Christmas, earliest in quite a few years.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Saw 4 Bucks together 2 days ago, 2 forkies with both sides, 1 with one side & another with 2 holes. N.E. Ia.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:12 PM
Fork Horn

Yes, they are dropping here in Wi. Guy I know had one side near his food pile. another I know seen a buck he had seen throughout the year on camera that had one side gone. Odd cuz its way early, but it is happening.