Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What' s up w/ the Great Outdoors? >

What' s up w/ the Great Outdoors?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What' s up w/ the Great Outdoors?

Old 07-23-2003, 09:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What' s up w/ the Great Outdoors?

I' ve watched almost all of the coverage and saw the final archery competition. It was funny because in the semi Collins barely beat Hendrix (Hendrix Won the last two years) Now i don' t know if this would have made Hendrix win or tie but collins said on that moving target he hit the red but was aiming for the green.
Old 07-24-2003, 07:54 AM
Spike

http://www.fastestbows.com/press/200...llins_wins.htm

Collins wins archery gold by defeating the best
2003 ESPN Great Outdoor Games
ArrowSport — July 11, 2003

Reno, Nev. — Darren Collins of Kansas faced off against the gold medalist and silver medalist archers from the 2002 ESPN Great Outdoor Games and defeated them both to capture his first gold medal Friday afternoon at the 2003 Games.

Darren Collins throws in fists in the air to celebrate his moment of golden victory over Randy Ulmer.
The archery competition at the Great Outdoor Games presented by Dodge is a high-speed, head-to-head, single-elimination tournament that features moving and stationary targets, most of which shatter on impact.

Collins, who won the bronze medal in 2002 and was defeated in the quarter-finals at the 2000 Games, defeated North Carolina’s Randy Hendrix 42-39 in the semi-final round to advance to the gold medal round. Hendrix, the defending gold-medalist, also won gold in 2001. Collins then defeated 2002 silver medalist Randy Ulmer in the gold-medal round, 33-30, delighting the capacity crowd with his dramatic win.

Collins defeated Hendrix and Ulmer in back-to-back split-second decisions in the “Speed Challenge” station, in which the archers race to shoot four 3-inch targets at 25 yards. Collins hit his four targets in 24.63 seconds to defeat Hendrix, and then raced through the station in 19.52 seconds to dash Ulmer’s hopes for his first gold medal in this event.

Hendrix went on to win third by defeating Jackie Caudle of Alabama in the bronze-medal round. Caudle won gold in this event in 2000. His fourth-place finish was his best effort at the Great Outdoor Games since that victory.

Collins said it’s always tough to shoot against Hendrix and Ulmer. He said to win this event, it’s not a question of if you’ll face the two men, but when.

“I’m just glad I faced them in the finals, not in the early rounds,” Collins said. “If you face them too early in the day, you can be out of this thing before it even starts.”

Collins and Hendrix were tied 27-27 going into the Speed Challenge, and were dueling neck-and-neck when they lined up their final shots almost simultaneously.

“When I saw Randy draw, I knew I had to shoot fast, because he doesn’t waste any time,” Collins said. “I just swung my bow across and punched the trigger.”

Collins faced almost the identical situation against Ulmer. This time, however, he was down 21-18 going into the Speed Challenge. When Ulmer missed a shot, Collins capitalized. He ran the board, nailing four consecutive shots to win.

Finishing fifth was 1996 Olympics gold medalist Rod White of Wisconsin.

Ulmer was disappointed to finish second for the second year in a row, but said: “Silver’s still good. Speed shooting isn’t my forte, but I’ve been practicing to improve my speed, and I’ve done that. Darren just shot very well today.”

Hendrix struggled at times on the tournament’s “Thread the Needle” station, in which archers must shoot at four 3-inch targets at 40 yards, with the targets flanked by foam-padded columns 12 inches apart. Hendrix has dominated this station in past Games, but said fickle winds made the 40-yard shot difficult.

“I wasn’t shooting that station very well in practice back home, but by the time I left for here, I was confident,” Hendrix said. “The wind here was hard to figure out, but that’s part of the game.”

2003 Great Outdoor Games Archery medalist (from left): Randy Ulmer, silver; Darren Collins, gold; Randy Hendrix, bronze.

Archery final standings

1. Darren Collins, Galena, Kansas

2. Randy Ulmer, Cave Creek, Ariz.

3. Randy Hendrix, Clemmons, N.C.

4. Jackie Caudle, Gadsden, Ala.

5. Rod White, Sparta, Wis.

6. Ginger Hopwood, Marietta, Ga.

6. Gerald Decker, Dalton, Pa.

6. Tim Gillingham, Lehi, Utah

9. Donald Bishop, Arden, N.C.

10. Mike Slinkard, Johnday, Ore.

11. Keith Brown, Greensboro, N.C.

11. Darin Mack, Avondale, Pa.

13. Aya LaBrie, Aurora, Colo.

13. Wade Gautreaux, Waynesville, Ohio

15. Mark Herring, Ravenna, Ohio

16. Valerie Chapman, Hendersonville, N.C.

Old 07-24-2003, 06:37 PM

Thanks everyone for your update, hopefully I' ll be able to catch a re-run!!!

Thanks and good hunting!!!
jt