Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Hunting Out Of A Blind >

Hunting Out Of A Blind

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting Out Of A Blind

Old 12-22-2010, 10:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Hunting Out Of A Blind

Hey Guys,

I am looking to get a blind for the 2011 hunting season, but have never set one up, or hunted out of one. I am just looking for something that can hold me and someone else. I have a cousin who is wanting to hunt, but the kid is not the biggest fan of heights and getting in a tree stand. I was wondering what things I should look into when purchasing a blind and how much I should conceal the blind. Do I just set it up, or do I have to heavily brush it in. I am wanting to use this for deer. I know a few places have some on-sale for like 50 bucks. What makes the 200 dollar blinds 200 bucks?

Thanks,
Steve
Old 12-23-2010, 05:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

The higher the price the better the quality and the more seasons you'll get out of it.

I have hunted out of a lot of different blinds and the best I have ever used is a Double Bull Dark Horse. High priced? Sure but well worth it IMO

Dan
Old 12-24-2010, 08:03 AM
Fork Horn

The more expensive ones will hold up much better, and are MUCH easier to set up and put together! Trust me, I've had both. Spend the money, it is definitely worth it. The Double Bull is so easy, just pops up and you're ready to hunt. Others you will have to mess with poles like a tent. Also, the more expensive blinds will have better windows (more adjustable, etc), which can mean getting a shot or not getting a shot!
Old 12-24-2010, 08:22 AM
Fork Horn

Well IDK about having to spend $200 to get a quality blind.
I bought one from wal mart a few years ago on clearance, like $80.
It's still in use today, many deer have been harvested from its confines, fits 2 people just fine.

But with that said, depends on the hunting you're doing, archery or gun?
I did end up buying a double bull, just because it's more conducive to archery hunting.
The full width shooting window IMO is a must for archery, portals are fine for rifle hunting.

We have 3 blinds set up, all on ag fields, none are brushed in.
If you can set them up early enough, brushing them in is not important.
It's the same day set up, same day hunts that usually require brushing in.

Also I learned the hard way, low light shooting in a blind with fiber optic sights..
Drew back on a deer one evening, first time out of a blind, couldn't see my pins
Needless to say, the very next day I bought a sight light.

Get stools that swivel, a bow holder for the ground and also some good shooting sticks.
Remember to rake all the ground rubbish out of the placement spot.

I tell you what though, having deer 3 ft from you on the ground is pretty intense.

EDIT> Just noticed this was in the archery section, get a good one with a full width window.

Last edited by onion721; 12-24-2010 at 08:26 AM.
Old 12-24-2010, 05:11 PM
Fork Horn

Heck, I don't spend nuthin' on my blinds. Find a hot spot and look around. There's bound to be a some 'structure' (deadfall, a few trees close together, whatever) within range that you can improve upon with some sticks and all. My wife and I build a couple every season, as well as beef up the ones that are around from prior seasons. It's fun and challenging.