Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Who here hunts small game with there bow >

Who here hunts small game with there bow

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Who here hunts small game with there bow

Old 12-22-2010, 05:44 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by JakeGrice
I enjoy small game hunting with a bow during all seasons. When i squirell hunt I prefer a compound ( darton vapor) with judo tips. I simply find a place in the woods with heavy acorns and squirell sign ( nests, chattering, etc.) and stand up against a tree and wait. This way I can use three tree to hind behind if a squirrell sneaks up behind me. Chipmunks I sometimes hunt just for fun and the extreme challenge with my longbow. Ill use custiom wood arrows or sometimes carbons like in the pic I uploaded and I'll stand and wait next to an old wood pile or near a brush pile. Once a chipmunk comes out to feed I stick it with a blunt. I also prefer longbow hunting rabbits with either field tips or sometimes blunted smallgame heads. For rabbits (when im alone) I stalk a brush pile and get close enough to see into the brush. More times then not the rabbit will just lay down in the brush and won't move once you get within a few yards of it because it doesnt know what to do. This is when I quick draw and stick an arrow through it. I have hit rabbits on the run with my longbow but have only wounded rabbits this way. (broken legs, cuts, etc.) I actually stalked up on an opposum this year in my back yard after dark and stuck it through the ribs with wooden arrows...ran 5 yards and gave up and quickly died. Small game hunting with a bow is a great time and gives the animals a chance.

Attachment 14863

Attachment 14864

Attachment 14865

Attachment 14866

Attachment 14867
i would love to shoot one of those and get it mounted.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:11 AM
Spike

i shoot them i have a matthews monster i shoot with rubber tips so u dont loose them in trees and other brush
Old 12-22-2010, 06:56 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by pearsontx4
i would love to shoot one of those and get it mounted.
Yeah I've considered but I usually put a deal of damage on the critter.
Old 12-25-2010, 03:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've hunted everything that has a season around here with a bow in years past. It seems I never have the time I used to. What happened. I guess some how I've let myself get to busy.

Work sure interferes with my Hobby!

Dan
Old 12-31-2010, 07:42 PM
Fork Horn

ttt............
Old 12-31-2010, 07:49 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by AK NIMROD
hunting small game is a blast, Ptarmigan with my black widow recurve is my favorite i use judo points.

#2 quarry is northern pike

snowshoe hares are alway fun when they are plentiful. usually stop at 2
ducks are fun but tough quarry
Awesome Pics!!! gotta love hardcore bowhunters!!!
Old 01-02-2011, 09:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Anything in season is in danger when I'm bowhunting. Frankly, I don't hunt small game with the bow for its own sake, but I keep two 'squirrel arrows' in my quiver and almost always get to shoot them when on a deer stand.

These two arrows are my utility infielders... they have killed foxes, bobcats, rabbits and groundhogs. As well as squirrels, which in my opinion, are about as difficult a target with a bow as you can find.

I use my Mathews Drenalin for bowhunting.

I have found that it is a huge help with confidence from a tree stand where you will probalby be shooting a deer in the next hour or two to have a go at a squirrel... even if you miss... you'll be able to critique yourself.

My big tip is that silence is deadly.... I used to use G5 Small Game Heads... but they make a lot of noise in flight and small game that spends its life dodging aerial assaults from hawks and the like will not have anything to do with holding still to see whats coming. I acctually switched back to using some old G5 montecs that are loads more silent and started killing a good half of the squirrels I shot at (I was 0 for 7 with my SGHs early this year... and ended up 4 for 14 on squirrels from the tree.... went 5-5 on deer and 1-1 on turkey). I don't have any rocks where I hunt... so its easy to resharpen those heads and have another go.

Additionally... I have switched arrows quick to have a shot at a squirrel.. only to notice a deer coming and now I have a small game head on my arrow... this is not good... so I like to have an arrow (while the montec isn't my first choice for deer) that will at least be responsible and get the job done.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:29 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by SwampCollie
Anything in season is in danger when I'm bowhunting. Frankly, I don't hunt small game with the bow for its own sake, but I keep two 'squirrel arrows' in my quiver and almost always get to shoot them when on a deer stand.

These two arrows are my utility infielders... they have killed foxes, bobcats, rabbits and groundhogs. As well as squirrels, which in my opinion, are about as difficult a target with a bow as you can find.

I use my Mathews Drenalin for bowhunting.

I have found that it is a huge help with confidence from a tree stand where you will probalby be shooting a deer in the next hour or two to have a go at a squirrel... even if you miss... you'll be able to critique yourself.

My big tip is that silence is deadly.... I used to use G5 Small Game Heads... but they make a lot of noise in flight and small game that spends its life dodging aerial assaults from hawks and the like will not have anything to do with holding still to see whats coming. I acctually switched back to using some old G5 montecs that are loads more silent and started killing a good half of the squirrels I shot at (I was 0 for 7 with my SGHs early this year... and ended up 4 for 14 on squirrels from the tree.... went 5-5 on deer and 1-1 on turkey). I don't have any rocks where I hunt... so its easy to resharpen those heads and have another go.

Additionally... I have switched arrows quick to have a shot at a squirrel.. only to notice a deer coming and now I have a small game head on my arrow... this is not good... so I like to have an arrow (while the montec isn't my first choice for deer) that will at least be responsible and get the job done.
Man try killin chipmunks. now that is a tough target! especially with traditional gear..