Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Using red dot/multi-reticle sight on bow >

Using red dot/multi-reticle sight on bow

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Using red dot/multi-reticle sight on bow

Old 12-12-2010, 04:57 PM
Spike

Default Using red dot/multi-reticle sight on bow

I was curious how many people use a red dot sight or multi-reticle style sight on their compound bow. For the people who have there bow setup this way I'd like to hear what you have to say about them. I was playing around with the idea of putting something like an Aimpoint Micro H-1, HHA Sports Optimizer-Lite MRS Scope or the Tru-Glow pwr-dot electronic archery sight on my bow. Thanks

------------
Mathews Z7 Extreme
27" draw, 64lbs
QAD Ultra Rest Pro HD
Still setting bow up...
Old 12-12-2010, 05:02 PM
Dominant Buck

I've been using a Pollington Red Dot scope for the last 10 or so years. I love it. Great in low light. One dot is much better than multiple pins.
Old 12-12-2010, 05:09 PM
Spike

That was the idea of going with this type of sight. I thought about going with the single pin HHA sight but I want something different. Is it true that you can shoot with both eyes open while looking at the scope? I've never used one of these before. Would this eliminate the need for a peep and or kisser button?
Old 12-12-2010, 07:19 PM
Dominant Buck

Yes, both eyes open. It really seems that you're putting a laser point on the target. If you close one eye normally before, it's a hard habit to break. It will mess you up. Yes, the peep gets eliminated. However, you always need an anchor point. I use my release but you may prefer a kisser.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:10 AM
Spike

Do you happen to have a picture with the Pollington Red Dot scope on your bow? I was wondering what you use for a mount. I would think the mount would have to be adjustable for elevation and the scope would adjust for the left to right settings. Take a look at this setup...

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...ing_googlebase

It seems you could mount any sight that uses the picatinny or weaver rail with this. Since it has an adjustable yardage bracket you can sight it in at whatever increments you want and mark the bracket. Does this seem like a good system to go with a red dot scope?
Old 12-13-2010, 06:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by metalli445
Do you happen to have a picture with the Pollington Red Dot scope on your bow? I was wondering what you use for a mount. I would think the mount would have to be adjustable for elevation and the scope would adjust for the left to right settings. Take a look at this setup...

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...ing_googlebase

It seems you could mount any sight that uses the picatinny or weaver rail with this. Since it has an adjustable yardage bracket you can sight it in at whatever increments you want and mark the bracket. Does this seem like a good system to go with a red dot scope?
HHA makes just such a mounting bracket. It's called the Optimizer Lite Plus. You can see one on their website. The website shows the complete sight but you can buy just the bracket. Essentially it's the Optimizer mount with a machined piece of aluminum angle (for lack of a better description) and a Weaver scope mount base. So just about anything that fits a Weaver base will fit the mount. Cost isn't cheap, but quality does come at a price.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:35 PM
Spike

I thought one of these brackets

http://swfa.com/Zeiss-Z-Point-Archer...ket-P6838.aspx

with one of these sights

http://swfa.com/Truglo-1x-Crossbow-R...ht-P11113.aspx

would be cool to try.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:40 PM
Spike

I read another post where a guy used the HHA optimizer plus with a Nikon Monarch VSD. I like Nikon optics and went to there website to look at this sight. I like the idea that the sight is adjustable down to 1MOA. I was looking for a sight that is parallax free but it says the Nikon Monarch VSD's parallax setting is 50Yards. What does this mean? Does it mean its parallax free up until 50 yards? If so that should be fine since I don't shoot at deer over 30 yards or does it mean something else? What are your opinions on the HHA optimizer plus mount with a Nikon Monarch VSD on a Mathews Z7 Extreme? I'm looking to buy soon since I'd like to get a few hunts in before the season is over. Can you tell I'm anxious?

Last edited by metalli445; 12-13-2010 at 06:12 PM.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:47 AM
Spike

Well, eye relief is the distance the sight must be from your eye to work properly . On a rifle scope the eye relief is a few inches (around 3-4") where on a pistol sight the eye relief will be over 1 foot as you hold it at arms length . A red dot sight is different as it will work close to your eye or at arms length so is suitable for pistols or rifles .