Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
New to hunt and want to bow hunt. >

New to hunt and want to bow hunt.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

New to hunt and want to bow hunt.

Old 12-12-2010, 11:33 AM
Spike

Default New to hunt and want to bow hunt.

i would like to bow hunt and i got a bow last year for christmas but i was wondering how much lbs of draw back i would need to have to kill a deer. and excuse me im EXTREMELY NEW to hunting and using bows
Old 12-12-2010, 11:55 AM
Fork Horn

Minimum of 30 lbs draw weight, but I'd draw more weight if you can.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:34 PM
Spike

If your state has a lb lmit then that but if not i would say at least 45. but like already said I would try for more
Old 12-12-2010, 12:58 PM
Spike

I have a compound and 70# is not a bad draw weight. If you have a bear tag that also gives you a enough power. You shouldn't pull more than you can handle though, once you set it, pull and see how long you can hold full draw at that setting. If it is too high dial it back. Remember to never "dry fire" your bow, which means firing it without an arrow. This will put all the energy from the string into the bow limbs and can cause damage to your bow.
Old 12-12-2010, 04:51 PM
Fork Horn

i am 5' 9 and about 150 and i started at 55# and now i am up to 65# i could go higher but i like the 65#
Old 12-12-2010, 05:17 PM
Spike

alright thanks guys
Old 12-12-2010, 07:33 PM
Fork Horn

Just remember, shooting a deer with a bow is only part of the equation. Its much harder than just that. You owe it to the deer to be comfortable enough making a shot that you know will kill the deer so it doesnt suffer such as you hitting it in the guts or neck or...wherever. Just so you're confident enough to make an ethical shot. Good luck and welcome to the Addicting world of bow hunting!
Old 12-13-2010, 10:45 AM
Dominant Buck

45lbs is usually the legal limit for most larger game animals.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by worstcaster
I have a compound and 70# is not a bad draw weight. If you have a bear tag that also gives you a enough power. You shouldn't pull more than you can handle though, once you set it, pull and see how long you can hold full draw at that setting. If it is too high dial it back. Remember to never "dry fire" your bow, which means firing it without an arrow. This will put all the energy from the string into the bow limbs and can cause damage to your bow.
and never let your friends who arnt shooting with you, pull your bow back..even if they swear they can release it safely