Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 big difference without stabilizer >

big difference without stabilizer

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

big difference without stabilizer

Old 07-19-2003, 08:02 PM

Default big difference without stabilizer

tonight i was out shootin around just like most other nights and was not doing too bad. In feb. i bought a 2000 model hoyt magnatec and just put my stabilizer off of my old bow on there. it is one of those metal ones with hydrolic fluid in them(i think that is what someone told me), anyway the bow is fairly heavy by itself and the stabilizer obviously adds more weight to it. after shoot a couple rounds from 20-30-40 i decided to take my stabilizer off and see what diff. it would make. with it on my groups are around 2 to 5 inches from 20yrds to 40yrds. so not bad but leaves a little to be desired. when i shot without my stabilizer at 40 yards i cut about 1 1/2 inches off my groups and at 20 and 30 yards i was slapin arrows constantly.

might have been a freak thing but i am going to try it again tomarrow just to make sure i wasn' t dreamin. i think my stabilizer must have been too heavy.

also made my bow quieter without it

what do yall think, put it on or keep it off?
Old 07-19-2003, 08:27 PM

Default RE: big difference without stabilizer

WOW :|

Usually its the other way around....Better groups with it, than without it and shoots quieter with it on. This is the first time I heard of the bow shooting like that without a stabilizer.
Old 07-19-2003, 09:06 PM

i know thats why i will try it again tomarrow.

must just be one of those freak things, but i think it made my bow too heavy and i was having trouble holding it steady. i think taking the stabilizer off kind of evened the weight out.

i don' t know whats going on-- all i know is i shot better without it
Old 07-19-2003, 10:22 PM

i shoot better without a stab to. i shoot a 2003 patriot and the extra weight from the stab keeps pulling the bow down so i took it off and i shoot better and don' t have to fight the bow up.i think you well shoot better without it if your bow is heavy to start with.
Old 07-20-2003, 09:59 AM

If you are shooting better with it off, it probably means one of two things, either it adds too much mass weight for you (or maybe too much mass weight vs your holding weight), or it changes your bow' s balance for the worse...or both.

I also had a few years old hydrolic stabilizer which was noisy. Every time I shot I' d hear the piston move. I' d try a different stabilizer, and probably a lighter one depending on how your bow balances.