Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Buying a bow.

Old 12-14-2010, 09:15 AM
Spike

Check out the many different types of bows. Compound bows have mechanical pulleys that make it harder to pull back initially, but then pull back easier once fully drawn. These are the most popular type of bows today, as they are the easiest to aim and are the most versatile. Recurve bows and longbows are more traditional and usually a lot less expensive than compound bows. The further you pull back a recurve, the harder it gets. Recurves are better for beginning target shooters.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BGfisher
Being completely new I'd also recommend using a Pro Shop for your purchase. I would stay away from EBay or other such places. You probably don't have the knowledge to pick a bow with the correct draw length and this is crucial. Using a good shop will benefit you in that you'll get measured close enough for the right draw length and then pick a bow that is adjustable up or down at least an inch from said measurement. Be careful not to overbow yourself, meaning draw weight. Depending on what you intend to hunt there is no reason to choose a 70# if you cannot handle it -----easily. Getting the correct arrows and other eqquipment is paramount, too, and this is where a competent shop comes in handy.

There is nothing wrong with used. As mentioned, a lot of people buy a new bow every year just for bragging rights or because they desire to. There are tons of good used bows to be had.

If you find a good shop they should allow you to shoot any bow you think might fit your needs. This is another reason for a shop. Look at many. Shoot as many as you can and don't rush it. Keep notes on how each felt and performed and make an informed decision based on your notes. You'll end up a much better shooter for it.
That is about the best advice you could get. A knowledgeable person at a Pro Shop can help you immensely with your decision.

Someone mentioned a recurve being a better bow to start with, but I STRONGLY disagree. Shooting a recurve consistently is much more difficult. The one thing a beginner needs to learn is consistency. I am still working on this myself, and figure that I always will be. Get a compound that you can comfortably pull and that feels right. That is your best bet. And yes, you can get more bang for your buck with a used bow, but I would look the consignment route at shops.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:48 AM
Fork Horn

Taking advice from a new guy is sometimes not always the best advice. Just saying I think you guys saying ebay is bad way to buy a bow.....well I think your wrong. I bought my last bow on there. A Hoyt maxxis 31. Saved about 400 dollars or more. 590 that was shipping to. Was like brand new. First thing I did was take to bow pro here in Texas and let him work it over to make sure that I made a good deal. He couldnt belive I got it for that. He had a few in his' shop for 949 plus tax out the door. My dealer in Kanas had one left for 745 out the door. If you buy a dudd you can always get your money back. Trust me. Its also not bad Idea to go the bow shop and findout what your specs are before buying a bow. If your looking for affordable bow go with ebay new or used. After buying it always take the bow to bow shop and get module,cam,limbs etc checked out and also get it fit to you. Like I said if theres a defect ebay will return your money if the guy who sold it wont. Trust me if you have the money go to the bow shop and by a new expensive bow..do soo. Their is no doubt that is the best way to do. In this case..don't. If your looking for top end bow thats affordable(even if its been shot) go for it. Guys like to buy new bows each year. They sell there olds ones on ebay to help pay for the new ones. Even if its year old.. it can still be in new shape. For you guys saying ebay is not the good way to go, Ummm ...wrong! Quit being ignorant. Still cheaper to buy a cam/module/string if needed to fit it to your prefection rather than forking over 1000$s for a brandnew that shoots just as good. Thank you. Have good luck finding your bow. Side note. I have the money for a bradnew new dealership bow..but why dont I just save some for something else you need? So I did. Sorry I had to vent just think its a bad idea to listen to people that have no idea what they are saying. Think before you type. Bahah

Last edited by Hoyt21; 12-15-2010 at 01:23 AM.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with Hoyt21. Ebay is a good way to go. Just use the pro shop to your advantage and have them work with you. They can make a bow that doesn't fit you become compatible through cam changes or other means. Even if the bow purchased isn't a great fit to start then I still wouldn't pass up a great deal for a top shelf bow just because of that. I would buy the bow and get it fitted to me at the pro shop.