Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Bow poundage question >

Bow poundage question

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bow poundage question

Old 12-01-2010, 03:18 PM
Spike

Default Bow poundage question

I am pretty new to archery and bought my Hoyt Trykon when I was 17. I am about 6 foot tall and weigh 135 pounds so I figured I better be safe and go with a bow I know I can pull back so I got the 50-60 pound model. I am currently shooting at 57 pounds easily and would like to max it out at 60. What I am wondering is is it okay to do this because another bow hunter I talked to said not to max the bow poundage or it could be bad for the bow??? I am wondering if this is true because why would I buy a 50-60 pound bow that I can only take to 57 safely??? I would really like to take it to 60 if that is possible so I figured I better ask before I try it. Please let me know what ya think. Thanks
Old 12-01-2010, 05:36 PM
Fork Horn

Ive always been told to crank it all the way down, then back each side off a little (half a turn or so)
Old 12-01-2010, 05:41 PM
Fork Horn

most bows that I have seen have a set poundage like you said 50-60. Those bows will go up over 60, but it is not recommended to do that. I have known several people to do this with no problems, but I have also known a few that have blown their bows up. if the limbs are rate for 50-60 you can set it at 60 with no problems. But I would make sure that it is as close to 60 as you can get it. Don't take the chance.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:09 AM
Fork Horn

My poundage is the same 50-60 and I shoot 60 comfortably and have done so all year maxed out never had a problem.
My advice... take it to a pro shop and ask them they will be more knowledgable than most of us here and the maxing out issue ranges differently on each bow so it's hard to make guesses.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:38 AM
Dominant Buck

The bow maker/manufacture will give the bow range. If 60lbs is its max range suggested by the maker/manufacture it is perfectly ok. Just do not go over the weight that has been suggested.