Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Did I miss it or what? >

Did I miss it or what?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Did I miss it or what?

Old 11-13-2010, 01:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Did I miss it or what?

Is it just me, or did I miss the rut in NY? Last week I saw some chasing. This week, the bucks are all alone. Did the rut pass me by or something, or did it only last about about 3 days???
Saw a small buck last night, He didn't want anything to do with a bleat. But as soon as I hit the grunt, he stopped. I think the deer around here are smoking the wacky weed....
Old 11-13-2010, 07:05 AM
Fork Horn

Thinking the rut is late this year last week was pre rut ....just started to see rubs and scrapes in the last week .. little bucks chaising... this week im starting to see more deer /car kills and reports of daytime buck chasing.Bucks will be in lock down with doe for the season opener ... if ya got doe's you will have all the bucks come saturday.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah what you saw was a very few doe's coming into heat after the October full moon. The November full moon is the one to watch. This year I believe its later Novemeber so watch the week of 20-28th of November. Once people start seeing chasing they think the rut if on, that's not the case at all. Don't get me wrong, doe's are getting breed but the majority of them will come into estrus later in November. So at least that is what I have been reading. They said if you were keeping a journal, go back to 1997, 2005, this year will be like those.
Old 11-13-2010, 01:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, thats good. Thought it passed me by when I couldn't hunt during the week... So the rut is going to hit during gun season this year??? That will be different, lol....
Old 11-22-2010, 03:01 PM
Fork Horn

Guess i got it right this year .... opening morning had a hot doe bring 4 bucks by me many times over. They chased her passed me 5 times before i shot the biggest ... a dandy 9 pointer that will be on the wall and my buddy got the next biggest an 8 pointer.Hope everybody else had a good opener.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

This week is supposed to be the best one - this year. LAST week was smokin around these parts! I saw lots of activity and it continued throughout the day. BIG bucks that I hadn't seen this season, were suddenly quite visible. It has turned warmer now and the movement has slowed somewhat, but it should pick up when it cools off.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:27 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by stabnslab_WI
Yeah what you saw was a very few doe's coming into heat after the October full moon. The November full moon is the one to watch. This year I believe its later Novemeber so watch the week of 20-28th of November. Once people start seeing chasing they think the rut if on, that's not the case at all. Don't get me wrong, doe's are getting breed but the majority of them will come into estrus later in November. So at least that is what I have been reading. They said if you were keeping a journal, go back to 1997, 2005, this year will be like those.

Dont believe everything you read... Trust me!!! I know they are calling for a late rut but most believe that the rut traditionally falls around the same time every year. Again every state or region typically is different but I know here in wisconsin the peak breeding is November 8-15 every year. The does need conception during a critical time so they can drop there fawns at a certain time in spring to get them healthy enough to make it through the next winter. Also they can't drop (fawns) to early because there still may be a foot of snow. It mainly is based on sunlight allowed into the does glands. Studies have been done showing that does that get breed in the 2nd cycle will more than likely loose the fawn (23%) through a harsh winter because the fawn is the size of a dog and still has spots in october. (Wisconsin)

I would look into when your regions peak breeding time typically is and go by that. Read articles about what stage your in and see if that relates to what type of deer movement your seeing.
Old 11-24-2010, 02:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

All the deer I am seeing now during gun season are alone. The does are with there fawns, the bucks are alone. I am seeing a few rubs and scrapes. I haven't heard them grunting or bleating. I got a small six point during gun on opening day. He had just been rubbing. But he just came walking in, no grunting.. I only say about 2 or 3 days or chasing, thats it.. Now it just seams like there back to a summer time activity