Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
problem being winded by big bucks >

problem being winded by big bucks

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

problem being winded by big bucks

Old 11-12-2010, 08:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default problem being winded by big bucks

Looking for some advice... On the very rare occasion i have a nice buck coming in towards me, once he gets into 40 yards he always seems to be able to wind me...
Do i need to draw when hes at 40 and if they start to get scared shoot... I have no problems being winded by any other deer, i have all scent lok and rubber boots and face mask.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:24 AM
Fork Horn

he prolly knows where your tree is
Old 11-12-2010, 09:55 AM
Fork Horn

If he's on pins and needles at 40 yd.s when ya shoot, hes probably gonna jump the string. Just be ready. good luck
Old 11-12-2010, 11:56 AM
opg
Spike

Give the scent wafers a try(earth scent).
Old 11-12-2010, 04:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's how he got so big. Seriously, if the deer is winding you, you need to change stands, or hunt when the wind is right for the stand you are hunting. No amount of scent lock or sprays is going to help if he gets down wind.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:14 PM
Typical Buck

Seen 8 deer tonight not one winded me and i am on the ground,i love when the rut gets in and the deer get stupid,I am going to be on the ground in the middle of the timber in the am see what happens.
Old 11-13-2010, 01:06 PM
Spike

i had a lil buck lip curling 25 yards down wind of me last night. weather.com said NE winds but they changed up to SW 30 mins before sunset. i sprayed some buckbomb doe in heat and he stood there 20 minutes and had 6 does behind so i was stuck lol. had another little buck working 2 does my way too. it was a good night out. all in all counted 14 deer within about 80 from me. and i was sitting on the ground 7 yards from the road. i like the easy access and i can only hunt 1 acre but luckily nobodys allowed to hunt the neighboring property about 300 acres total.