Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Indiana Buck

Old 11-08-2010, 07:28 AM
Fork Horn

Default Indiana Buck

Here is the story.

I got up early and it was cold. i use the hand warmers to put in the small of my back to keep me warm. i sat up in my tree for 1 hour before i saw anything. I waited for it to get light out and i started bleating once it got light out. i would bleat every 15 about 4 times each. about 8am i decided that i would rattle a little to see what i could get to come in because the only deer i saw was just after light about 600yards away running across the road. i scanned around and saw a deer standing at the edge of the woods. he came out i got my binocs on him and decided i wanted this one. He started across the field but was heading away from me. so i bleated at him and grunted him and he came on a string right to me. i drew back and readied for the shot. he stopped and i let the arrow loose. I missed how could i have missed he was 30 yards and i missed. what was going on. He was a great buck 120 maybe. a wide solid 8pt 3.5 years old. so i said screw it. i grabbed my snort weeze and let out two sequences hoping to bring him back in. he continued on so i grabbed my horns and pounded them together. i rattled for a few minutes. i sat down and looked back toward where the first buck came from. and then i heard rubbing. a real loud hollow sound for about 15 seconds. and instantly i knew what was going on. i saw him poke his head out and start heading across the field. his body was not as big and rack not as good. but decided if i could hit him i would harvest him. i shot him in the same spot as the first. i dropped him in his tracks. i spined him in the middle of his back. surely my sights were off. So i crawled down out of my tree and quickly put another in him to dispatch him. so that is it. he was not the biggest but he is a decent 2.5 year old 7 pt.

P.S. i have trail cam or visually seen 6 other bucks. 2 3.5yr olds. 2 2.5yr olds. and 2 1.5yr olds. Next year is going to be even better than this year. i am looking forward to it.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:40 AM
Typical Buck

Congrats on a nice buck.I sure hope i can get out this saturday so i to can get a buck .
Old 11-08-2010, 08:44 AM
Typical Buck

Congrats...you are very lucky he came back after missing.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:59 PM
Fork Horn

actually this is a different buck the first buck never did come back which is disappointing. but i am fine with this buck he will make some real nice rattling antlers.