Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Morning hunts

Old 11-06-2010, 06:34 PM
Fork Horn

Default Morning hunts

My observation of this rut is as follows. I have hunted every day since Oct. 29th. Following Halloween it was evenings only (due to work) I saw a few does in the evening and 1 shooter buck but all deer were after shooting light. I hunted this morning Nov. 6th and two buddies were out in my stands also. We all saw bucks, we all had deer near shooting range, My buddies both saw shooters (outside the ears) and I had a six and a small 8 walk nearby. My diagnosis is that the deer move later in the evening, throught the night and eventually wander back to bedding areas around 8:30 am. The amount of deer moving this morning has made my evening hunts seem like an effort in futility. Anyone else having similar movement patterns. I wish I worked 11 am to 7pm. I might be tagged out by now.
Old 11-07-2010, 03:50 AM
Fork Horn

It all depends on where you hunt and the time of the year. I hunt in an area that is a transition zone. I don't see many deer in the morning, but they move alot during the evening. My other spot depends on the rut. It is usually an evening spot, but when the run is going I have deer coming in at all times of the day.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:29 AM
Typical Buck

i have a morning spot and an evening spot, seen huge bucks at both, they would score like 120, pretty good for PA. my evening spot seemed to be getting alot of pressure, the next morning was a saturday so id didnt have school so i went to my morning stand where i settled for a 9 point, 14 inch spread. pretty nice for a second buck when your 14. (also this season early i passed on four 10's,four 8's, two 6's, and a 5)
Old 11-08-2010, 12:18 PM
Fork Horn

getting severl on camera between 10 and 2.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:55 PM
Fork Horn

I think it is a toss up most of the time. my experience has varied but have had much better success with bucks in the morning within the first 2 hours of light. but the rut brings em out all the time and they could be anywhere and at any time.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've seen them morning, evening and mid day..... But mostly in the morning!