Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Deer v. turkey

Old 11-03-2010, 05:44 PM
Fork Horn

Default Deer v. turkey

Can any of y'all tell me about your experience with deer when turkeys are in the immediate area? Had a large flock near me two different times this week, noisy as all get out, scratching in the leaves. I thought they'd never go away. They were too far away for me to spook them by waving my arms. Never saw one deer while they were around. I figure the deer stay away because of all the noise.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:50 PM
Typical Buck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chRz_P1FrFo
Old 11-03-2010, 06:02 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks, that makes me feel a bit better, although there are some differences in the two situations: open field v. heavy woods; those turkeys aren't as many in number nor as active; and something the deer really want (corn).
Old 11-03-2010, 06:17 PM
Fork Horn

I see turkeys and deer together all the time in heavy woods. I feel like together they are nearly impossible to fool. Turkeys seem to give the deer piece of mind. You have the best eye sight in the woods with turkeys, and deer have the best noses. No way do the turkeys bother the deer. If anything i think they feel safer...
Old 11-03-2010, 07:13 PM
Typical Buck

I have seen deer following bands of turkeys before. I think the deer know that turkeys are very wary and use them as scouts sometimes. If I see a flcok of turkeys come through, I get ready for deer to follow.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:17 PM
Fork Horn

i noticed that too. more times than i can count i have had deer come in right after the turkeys..
Old 11-04-2010, 07:20 AM
Spike

i use to watch a beautiful buck a few years ago eat among the turkeys out in the field .. could never get close to him because he had his own security system -- soon as the turkeys would spook or move off he would vanish into the woods
Old 11-04-2010, 05:56 PM
Typical Buck

Here in WI the deer and turkeys eat together all the time and even in NE Iowa. But when I hunt in SE Kansas and a flock of turkeys are around I won't see a deer. I don't get it.