Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Interesting Saturday hunt. >

Interesting Saturday hunt.

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Interesting Saturday hunt.

Old 11-01-2010, 02:08 PM
Fork Horn

Default Interesting Saturday hunt.

Went out on Saturday after I got done with work, was in a hurry because I got out there a little later than what I wanted to.

Started romping my way through the woods towards my stand and trudged through some mud, didn't think anything of it. Got out to my stand. My stand is a hang on in a pine tree and I'm 25 feet up. Well i use the screw in metal steps and started climbing. Because it's in a pine tree and I obviously didn't cut all the branches off I can't strap in until I get up to my stand.

Well I got about 8ft up and it happened... my right foot slipped off the metal step and I darn near went for a ride. Thankfully I was hanging on tight enough with my hands. After i regained my wits I finished climbing into my stand. That left a nice bruise and scrape on my right calf from how I started to fall and racking my leg.

Well once I get up there I sit and hear nothing see nothing... then about 20 minutes from dusk I hear this weird squeak and all hell breaks loose. Sounds like a heard of deer coming through the woods right at me. Then it slows down... and stops. I listen for a minute and then I hear it.... BUUUUURP........ BUUUUURP. So I hit my grunt. I can hear one moving a bit... then it slows and stops again. Then as quickly as it had happened before, again sounds like a heard running around, and then gone. Never got to see anything because where they were was behind some evergreen trees.... hopefully I'll get out tomorrow and maybe get a chance at seeing something.