Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Rattle or Bleat? >

Rattle or Bleat?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rattle or Bleat?

Old 10-31-2010, 04:33 AM
Spike

Default Rattle or Bleat?

Just wondering what you guys have the best response to.
Old 10-31-2010, 06:21 AM
Fork Horn

Neither have worked for me, Ruts just starting here, I plan on trying some more, but fear rattling, cause Ive heard it scares deer off some times, and they circle down wind of you, to smell the "fighting bucks" and maybe size them up. Ide rather sit and wait and hope one comes by a active scrape or following a rub path.
Old 10-31-2010, 07:08 AM
Fork Horn

I live in central North Carolina and rattling has never worked for me. I don't know if it is cause the buck/doe ratio is so out of whack or I'm just not tickling the ivorys right. I still try it ocasionally though think it would be cool to rattle one in.
Grunts and bleats work like a champ for me so that's what I have confidence in doing.
Good luck!
Old 10-31-2010, 07:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I rattled the bone togther followed with some tending grunts and I saw 3 bucks and 3 does yesterday morn.
Old 10-31-2010, 08:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

well, i dont know about pa..but here it seems to be they want one or the other....as i rattled a buck once..he didnt give a flip about it..but when i hit that bleet..he did an about face and came right at me. so if ya see a buck, and ya try one and he dont care..give the other awhirl
Old 10-31-2010, 11:32 AM
Fork Horn

Smile

Rattling has never done squat for me. I think if I hunted an area that actually had a lot of bucks roaming around then it might work. The can however has called in several deer. One of the things I have discovered about the can is do not use it when the buck has a line of sight toward you. If they hear the doe and look over and don't see anything, they know it's fake. This is one of the many many things I have learned the hard way. Also - if a buck is trailing a hot doe, you can bleat, rattle, grunt, fart all you want and nothing will veer him away from his one track mind.

I still rattle every year though, still hoping to bag a buck that I've rattled in.
Old 10-31-2010, 01:20 PM
Spike

So far this year I haven't had anything come in to rattling this year. But on wednesday morning I bleated with the Can and a small 4 pnt came in. I have had several small bucks come in to rattling in past seasons.
Old 10-31-2010, 04:21 PM
Spike

ive never had luck with the can. rattling though i have called in several bucks. last year rattled in 5 in about 2 hours of hunting. this year though i hit em a little too early. i had does take off but they came back after about 15 minutes. i saw 4 bucks fighting yesterday so if they are doing it i can too.
Old 10-31-2010, 05:44 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Copen
Just wondering what you guys have the best response to.
Both, I've shot bucks that came into both.

When you rattle, try and set up where a circling buck has to pass withing range when trying to circle downwind of you.
Old 10-31-2010, 06:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

rattling here tends to scare more bucks than attract. I have my best luck with just a simple doe bleat. no can calls, just a simple 1 second long doe bleat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.