Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Shot a Rob buck yesterday >

Shot a Rob buck yesterday

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shot a Rob buck yesterday

Old 10-31-2010, 12:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Shot a Rob buck yesterday

Well, as I sit in my stand yesterday morning I had a "Rob" buck come in. He only had one antler. Don't know if the other one got broke off, or just never grew. He walk out, presented me with a 20 yard broad side shot. He looked to have at least 3 or 4 points on the one antler he did have. I'm thinking, do I shoot him or let him walk. If he did only grow one antler, then I don't want him breeding the does. If its broke off, then something bigger kicked his ass... Hmmm, what shall I do. I decided to take the shot. Easy chip shot, ya right....... As I watch in udder belief, my arrow took a hard left just as it was getting to him. I couldn't believe it. How, or what just happened?? As I watch the arrow hit him in the back leg. It looked like it went threw the right rear leg and lodged into the left rear leg. I watch him as he runs off then he stops, stands about 70 yards away, then just walks into the thickets that are behind me. I can see that the arrow is still in his leg with the tracer nok lit up. I waited about an hour before I get down. I go over the where I last saw him standing, there is blood, and a great blood trail. I decided to go in and take a quick look around and see if I can at least find my arrow. I didn't. Then the blood trail just stopped. This is what he was leaving for a blood trail for me. I figured I hit an artery. I backed out and went home and got some lunch. Figured I would go out and look for him later. I still cant find him .... After looking at where he was standing when I shot, there where some leafless saplings I didn't see. I figured thats why my arrow took such a hard left... I was so mad for not seeing them before I shot.... I will look around again today and see if I can find him. Its so thick in there where he went. He could be laying 15 yards from where I'm looking and never see him
Attached Thumbnails Shot a Rob buck yesterday-blood-trail.jpg  
Old 10-31-2010, 05:01 AM
Typical Buck

good luck, let us know if u search again
Old 10-31-2010, 05:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

good luck trying to find him
Old 10-31-2010, 07:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I went out and hunted this morning then went and did some more looking around. NOTHING... I did find the end of my arrow this morning with the tracer nok in it. Fletching covered in blood. So, I was right about it passing through the right leg. The tracer was still blinking this morning, 20 hours later. l walked out at about 10am this morning and saw a nice 6 point at the edge of the field. He was about 100 yards from me. I was able to get within 60 yards. He never knew I was there. Then saw a 4 point chasing a small doe as a was walking down the field after my failed attempt to get at that 6 point. Kept waiting to see if the 6 point would be in tow, but he never showed. This is a good sign. The chasing has begun. I hope that the "Rob buck" will be ok. I hate to wound and loose deer. I will have to keep my eye to the sky for the crows just in case....
Old 11-01-2010, 04:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Lots of blood for a meat shot though... but if you did hit the artery he wouldn't be far though... sucks... trust me... I know what you are feeling!
Old 11-01-2010, 09:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Could still be a meat shot...if that is where he was standing before he went into all the thick stuff, he could have easily put out that much blood while standing still. I'd guess he will be fine in a few days.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

That blood spot was was 80 yards into the thickets. The spots where like that all the way up to that. About 10 yards after that blood spot, nothing, the blood was gone....