Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
My early bow season is about to end, bring on ML season >

My early bow season is about to end, bring on ML season

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

My early bow season is about to end, bring on ML season

Old 10-28-2010, 11:25 AM
Typical Buck

Default My early bow season is about to end, bring on ML season

Well my bow season hasn't gone as planned. I have been out quite a bit, seen some deer, drew on one deer, but haven't taken any shots. I have had deer in bow range, but haven't gotten any shots. I hope to turn the season around once muzzle loader season starts.

I have the next two evenings to try to tag one before I switch over to a muzzle loader. Once I make the switch, it will be a muzzle loader or rifle for the rest of the season. It is nearly impossible for me to go into the woods with a bow when I can be carrying a rifle of some sort. I know you die hard bow hunters don't like hearing that, but that is the way it is for me. Don't get me wrong, I love bow hunting and really hoped to get what would have been my second deer with a bow this year.

Oh well, hopefully it will happen tonight or tomorrow as getting one with a bow is quite an accomplishment.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:50 AM
Typical Buck

Yep blackpowder season is this weekend. I sighted in my .45 and my .50 Hawkens this past sunday. While I love my muzzleloaders (spent 40 hours building my .50 cal hawkens last yr) I had this strange feeling while shooting.

I might not buy my smokepole lisence and just keep using my bow, and maybe once regular gun season with the dog runners come in I can switch over to smokepole for the remainder of the season.

Up until a few weeks ago I have never shot a deer with anything other than blackpowder. Now that I have my first bow kill under my belt its hard to not take it into the woods with me.

Think the dark side is taking over, and I must say. "I like it a alot" not enough for me to give up blackpowder all together, but certainly making me have to pick between the two.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:55 AM
Fork Horn

In Iowa, you have the opportunity to choose either ML or shotgun for the firearms seasons, you can bet your bottom dollar I am carrying both the ML and the bow in all through December!

Gotta fill them landowner tags, and to me, nothing is better than whacking a deer within 35 yards with the silent death! Besides, can't kill more than one in a sitting with a ML in my experience; everything scatters for a mile that late in the season, especially seeing the shotgun seasons remind me of the Battle of the Bulge scene from Band of Brothers.